Did you mean: 

80/20 FTTC Trial Closed

Dev
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: 80/20 FTTC Trial Open

Quote from: KevinG
Quote from: Dev
Latest Speedtest. How do I know if this is the best my line can support or whether I am being limited by a BT profile or some other problem?
on 40/10 I had 37 down and 7 up.

You need to do a BT speed test (not the beta version) and note the IP profile (you can pretty much ignore the actual test result, e.g. I just got 10Mbps from the BT speed tester and 61.93Mbps from speedtest.net, my IP profile is 63.98Mbps). This will tell you the limit of what you can currently get, although the figure is not set in stone and does move up and down sometimes.

Thanks Kevin, will do a BT test
NRV618
Grafter

Thanks for the update and the advice  _Adam_  .
I've now raised fault ticket #53359989  8).
Cheers
beardybuck
Grafter

Just to add, the BT Speedtest reports a maximum achievable speed of 77.43.
This mornings Speedtest.net -

A bit better than the last few days. Just can't shake the feeling I should be getting a bit higher, maybe into the sixties, being so close to the cabinet.
KevinG
Rising Star

With an IP profile of 77.43 you should be in the mid 70s, not 60s.
paulpicks21
Grafter

Been running well the last couple of nights and today.
AlanT
Dabbler

I've just followed instructions from PN's Richard Harris to by-pass my router and check speed  via PPPoE.  Result: instant doubling of download speed!  But after re-configuring and testing again, this via the router, the high download speed was maintained.  Huh
Will keep monitoring to check if my router is ont he blink.
garywood84
Rising Star

Just thought I'd post an update on my fault ticket, raised yesterday to report widely variable speeds (6-75 down and 7-17up).
PN replied this morning to say that the "fault" has been escalated to BT for investigation, but the agent also said that he'd changed my profile at PN's side.  Looking in the member centre, I can see that what he's done is to move me back to the 37Mb profile from the 20Mb trialists profile.  The agent asked me to reboot my router and try further speedtests.  This has produced what I think is an interesting result.
Previously, when I'd used BT's speedtester, it was reporting 75Mb sync, but ridiclous download speeds of <20Mb.  The variation I was noticing was with Speedtest.net.  Now, since being on the 37Mb profile, BTs speedtester still reports 75Mb sync, but it consistently (at least so far from 4 tests) reports 35Mb down and 17Mb up.  Speedtest.net also gives more consistent speeds around the same rate, and interestingly, the little graph it draws as it tests the speed has far fewer peaks and troughs - it's more of a straight line.
So, it seems that being on the 37Mb profile is resulting in a more stable speed but that it's throttling to <40Mb (despite claims in this thread previously that the 37Mb profile allows up to 100Mb).  I wonder, then, whehter this issue isn't really a line problem at all, but a profile problem at PN's side - in other words, the 37Mb profile is fine, but it limits line rate to <40Mb, whilst the 20Mb profile allows faster speeds, but has some underlying problem that causes this to be intermittent.
Does anyone on the 37Mb profile get speeds faster than 37Mb?
garywood84
Rising Star

Quote from: AlanT
I've just followed instructions from PN's Richard Harris to by-pass my router and check speed  via PPPoE. 

Could you post those instructions here, please?
kirk
Grafter

The instructions are as follows;
Connected your PC/Laptop to the BT openreach modem. Then;

Windows
Go to the Control Panel then Network Connections
Click Create a new connection
Choose Connect to the Internet
Select Set up my Connection Manually
Select Connect using a broadband connection that requires a username and
password (PPPoE)
Enter the ISP Name: Plusnet
Enter the Broadband Username and Password
Click Finish and click Connect
If you use Windows 7 it will try and test the connection during the setup, this will
fail and give you an error. Click Skip or Continue and then after clicking finish
right click the new connection icon and click properties. Under Service Name enter
(your ISP name) then click OK. Finally double-click the New Connection icon and click
Connect.
Mac
From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences
From the View menu, choose Network
Choose Built-in Ethernet from the Show pop-up menu
Click the PPPoE tab
Select the checkbox for Connect using PPPoE
Enter the Broadband Username and Password
Click PPPoE options and tick the Connect automatically when needed checkbox
Click Apply now
garywood84
Rising Star

Thanks, Kirk.  Will give this a try.
Russellhouseman

Hi
i am seem to be getting varying through put aswell i used to be on the 37mb profile on the connection settings page on the plusnet site since going onto the trial it now shows 20mb and i am getting poor thoughput, i was getting around 36mb down and 2 up before now i get a better upload but a poor download. bt speed tester says my ip profile is 37mb down and 20mb up but getting no where near it at the moment.
spoke to someone about raising a ticket and they said i had to post on here and ask one of the plusnet safe dealing with the trial to have a look she if they can see anything wrong.
i have attached my speed test as a guide.
this is a test at a good time it varies quite a lot, when on the 40/2 it was consistent 99% of the time.
Cheers
Russell
kirk
Grafter

No Problem Smiley
KevinG
Rising Star

Quote from: garywood84

I don't know, and I'm not sure Plusnet does either. It was claimed a few weeks ago that the 37Mb profile had been "fixed" but I have seen a recent report of someone being moved from the 37Mb to the 20Mb profile (by JoJo) and thereby resolving their speed issues. So I would say that the only profile guaranteed to be unrestricted is the 20Mb one.
garywood84
Rising Star

Thanks, KevinG.
Plusnet staff - please can you confirm this, and move me back to 20Mb, if the 37Mb really won't go faster than that?
EDIT:
I tested Kirk's method of connecting the modem directly to the computer without the router, and got exactly the same speeds.  I then tried logging in to speedtest@speedtest_domain with the modem still connected directly to the computer and got faster speeds, so it seems that the PN profile was constraining my speeds to <40Mb.  I called support and asked them to move me back to the 20Mb profile, and now my speeds are back to being variable but with some results >40Mb.  One thing I have noticed is that since immediately after the 20Mb profile took effect again, my pings have almost doubled (from around 20ms on the 37Mb profile, to about 40ms on the 20Mb profile).
mikeyriot
Grafter

I was moved onto the 37Mb profile and saw the same so Jojo put me back on the 20Mb profile and alls back to normal.