cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80/20 FTTC Trial Closed

ffox
Pro

Re: 80/20 FTTC Trial Open

My usage has gone up significantly since starting the trial although I'm not  spending any more time online. 
I've just realised that this is caused by streaming video buffering.  Quite often, after a short while, I decide I don't want to watch any more of a particular video;  by then, with 80/20 a lot more of the "unused" content has been downloaded and buffered than was the case with 40/2!
Perhaps Plusnet should consider raising the allowances for Fibre Value/Extra for those who choose 80/20? 

KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: ffox
Perhaps Plusnet should consider raising the allowances for Fibre Value/Extra for those who choose 80/20? 

I am hoping, even assuming, that this will be the case.
KevinG
Rising Star

Quote from: Dev
Latest Speedtest. How do I know if this is the best my line can support or whether I am being limited by a BT profile or some other problem?
on 40/10 I had 37 down and 7 up.

You need to do a BT speed test (not the beta version) and note the IP profile (you can pretty much ignore the actual test result, e.g. I just got 10Mbps from the BT speed tester and 61.93Mbps from speedtest.net, my IP profile is 63.98Mbps). This will tell you the limit of what you can currently get, although the figure is not set in stone and does move up and down sometimes.
KevinG
Rising Star

Quote from: leng
I'm still pondering joining this trial.  I'm on a pretty sweet deal at the moment due to participation in the previous FTTC trial and I'd have to give that up to try this would could leave me paying about £10 extra/month even if the 80/20 does not bring any benefit.  Is there any reliable way of getting an estimate of what the line would support before I take the plunge?  I currently get about 37/8.

It has been said a few times that at the end of the trial you can either opt for 80/20 or revert to exactly the same deal and speeds as you had before, so it seems you have nothing to lose by giving it a try.
Bazza
Grafter

It is alarming how quickly you can eat up 4 or 5 GB without seeming to do much. This is the only fly in the ointment for fibre packages from PlusNet. With BT and Sky both offering unlimited packages and Sky's being truly unlimited this must have an impact on PlusNet's business strategy.
SpecialD
Rising Star

Quote from: JEB

@Spesh
Disconnect and reconnect your PPP session on your router and try again.

Yes that was done, I have someone looking at my ticket/question anyway as my profile is still 40 / 2  - must be a BT problem?!
SpecialD
Rising Star

Quote from: KevinG
It has been said a few times that at the end of the trial you can either opt for 80/20 or revert to exactly the same deal and speeds as you had before, so it seems you have nothing to lose by giving it a try.

Yes but I think the point is that you only benefit if you actually get something more than what you're already paying for! You do have something to lose if your speeds while on the 80/20 are less than what they are on the standard 40/2. 
KevinG
Rising Star

Quote from: Spesh
You do have something to lose if your speeds while on the 80/20 are less than what they are on the standard 40/2. 

Agreed, but in theory that should not happen, although I accept that for some unknown reason that Plusnet has not been able to get to the bottom of, that seems to have been the case for some.
SpecialD
Rising Star

I'm sure they're on top of the issue anyway, they at least make me feel like they're doing all they can. Although at the moment we're not exactly trialling anything since according to the line profiles we're not even on it yet! - At least no-one has lost any service though (touching wood)
KevinG
Rising Star

Quote from: Bazza
It is alarming how quickly you can eat up 4 or 5 GB without seeming to do much. This is the only fly in the ointment for fibre packages from PlusNet. With BT and Sky both offering unlimited packages and Sky's being truly unlimited this must have an impact on PlusNet's business strategy.

On the other hand I am averaging less than 3GB a day and that's with two children on the Internet half their waking hours, watching stuff on two iPlayer-enabled TVs, an Internet radio and all the usual web and email stuff, occasional massive software downloads, maintaining several websites, so I am pretty amazed at how much some people manage to get through!
AlanT
Dabbler

Hi!  I joined the trial yesterday.  Upload has risen from about 1.6Mbps to 14-16Mbps  Smiley (via Speedtest.net) but download has hardly increased (was 32-36Mbps, now 37-38Mbps), as my BT profile for download is stuck at 38.72Mbps (according to Bt Speedtester)  Sad
bluewhale
Rising Star

I'm still pondering joining this trial.  I'm on a pretty sweet deal at the moment due to participation in the previous FTTC trial and I'd have to give that up to try this would could leave me paying about extra...Is there any reliable way of getting an estimate of what the line would support before I take the plunge?  I currently get about 37/8.

that is not correct you will have to switch first to another product to get on the trial, which i believe will be non reversible
and so you'll either end up paying more if you drop out of the trial or have less usage or the like
at least that is what i was told being in the same position...
i am also concerned that the usage issue i now have will get worse,,,
there also does not seem to be a reliable speed prediction, especially as there are clearly teething issues as there were with adsl...
mikeyriot
Grafter

I'm still pondering joining this trial.  I'm on a pretty sweet deal at the moment due to participation in the previous FTTC trial and I'd have to give that up to try this would could leave me paying about £10 extra/month even if the 80/20 does not bring any benefit.  Is there any reliable way of getting an estimate of what the line would support before I take the plunge?  I currently get about 37/8.

I'm afraid you would lose your sweet deal if you decided to participate. If you read my previous posts in this thread I asked this myself and was told I first would have to upgrade, and if I decided to quit the trial I would be left with a current fibre package and not the deal I was on.
edit Mr whale beat me to it
KevinG
Rising Star

@bluewhale, @mikeyriot OK, sorry, I must have misunderstood, but it has definitely been posted that those who are currently on 40/10 from having previously been on a trial have been assured that they will revert to 40/10 at the end, not 40/2.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You need to look at connection speeds and account types separately.
You have to be on Value Fibre or Extra Fibre to go on to the trial:
Quote from: dave
We're pleased to announce that the Plusnet 80/20 FTTC trial is now open for anyone already on FTTC to take part. The only criteria to take part are that you must already have FTTC and be on either Plusnet Value Fibre or Plusnet Extra Fibre. Anyone on the original FTTC trial not on one of these products would need to switch first. Anyone who doesn't already have fibre would need to upgrade to that and have it installed first.

If at the end of the trial you decide not to pay the extra for 80/20 you will revert to your previous connection speeds (40/2 or 40/10).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)