Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

300Mbps FTTP trial Closed

dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

300Mbps FTTP trial Closed

Please note that the 300Mbps FTTP trial has now closed.
Hi all,
The 300Mbps trial is about to start. It's only available to those customers that already have FTTP and you need to be on Plusnet Value Fibre or Extra Fibre (you can upgrade to one of these if you aren't already on them). There's no extra charge on top of that for the duration of the trial, at the end of the trial you'll either be able to stay on 300Mbps for an additional fee (which we'll communicate at the end of the trial) or switch back to your current speed.
Spaces are extremely limited (I only have 2 spaces at the moment but should have some more next week) and it's only available at the following exchanges to start with:
York
Bradwell Abbey
Highams Park
Wembley
If you want to take part then please raise a ticket via http://trials.plus.net and answer the questions at the bottom and we'll do the rest.
Please note that the support teams will not have had full training on the trial so we would kindly ask that any questions are asked here.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
26 REPLIES 26
bigladuk
Grafter

Re: 300Mbps FTTP trial open - extremely limited spaces!

Strange, I would have expected these places to have been snapped up, maybe everyone is happy with their 100MB  Crazy
Si
digitalfixer
Grafter

Well I have one of the slots so there is only one left!  Smiley    I suspect that the need to be on Extra Fibre package might be the problem.  I switched to this during the Initial 100mb trial to get the 120GB usage limit as I was hitting the 60gb limit, but it costs an extra £10 a month which I felt was value for money especially as I had to pay an extra £10 on the normal extra package for just 6gb over the 60gb limit. Others may not be willing to switch or its going to take time for them to switch to the Fibre Packages.
However, the problem I think I am going to have is finding something that will allow me to make use of 330mb speed.  Even if I do I will have to be physically connected to the router as wirelesses will be too slow even with "N".
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

... or use homeplugs.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bigladuk
Grafter

So I'm right in thinking your on Fibre Extra with 120GB allowance ( which we can chew through in hours LOL ) for £21.49 ?
Si
digitalfixer
Grafter

Yes that's correct fibre extra for £21.49.  However, I switched during the trial so I think I am getting this cheaper than if you took out a Fttp package now, I.e. I am getting it at the Fttc price.  Not sure what the  cost would be if you switched to fibre extra to go on the 330 mb  trial.  From what I have seen by openreach will want another £10 per month on to of what they charge for 100/15 fttp product for the 330/20 product. So not sure what plusnet will need to charge. But at least by going on the trial I can see what difference it makes and then weight up if the extra charge whatever it is is worth it
Gary
CircuitW1zard

If I lived in those areas and was connected to those exchanges I'd be straight on it. However I'm on Newbury exchange. Let me know if you do trials there.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Gary, forgot to tell you in your ticket, you may need to reboot both the ONT and your router for the change to take effect and you to see an increase in speed.
Both spaces are now filled and I have a couple of reserves, hoping to get another couple of spaces for these before the end of the week, will update the tickets if I do.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

And the good news is I've got the extra spaces which will give us 5 on the trial. Will update the tickets/place the orders shortly.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: jelv
... or use homeplugs.

Need to be decent ones.  We've seen quite a few topping out at ~60GB.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
tomm
Grafter

Cheesy Those would have to be some special homeplugs to achieve 60GB!  Cheesy
But, agreed, I think you'll struggle to find homeplugs managing anything like 300Mb. They rarely get near the advertised speeds when used in a sustained manner.
A gigabit router is required there methinks, are you shipping gigabit routers?
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

doh.  That'll teach me.  60Mbps...
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

The routers we've sent out already (Thomson TG789, Netgear WNR3500, Zyxel NBG4604) are all Gigabit Ethernet and the ones we've got to test are all GigE too.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
bigladuk
Grafter

Fellow 300MB FTTP testers, I've been testing my line for about a week now and am a little disappointed with the results.
From serious hardcore usenet downloading I'm unable to improve in 18MB/s ( 16MB/s  SSL  ). I have achieved 299MB once from a download speedtest website but this was only a very small file and downloaded in seconds. Sustained downloading of large files never gets past 200MB but mostly hovers around the 150MB range.
Dave and I wonder if the internet is really ready for 300MB.....
My equipment is
HP Microserver ( gigabit nic )
Apple Airport Extreme with gigabit WAN port
Interested to hear feedback
Si
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

How many threads were you using on the usenet download?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)