cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wireless printer not connected

lav

wireless printer not connected

Hi there,
I have the optic fibre since yesterday but impossible to connect to my wireless printer. I am under Windows 8.1, I reinstalled the printer 12 times (and counting) but if Windows sees the printer, it can communicate with it.
I tried to set up the IP address, no change.
Can someone explain me simply what to do? This printer was working with 3 laptops without any trouble with the former router. (if I plug it with the USB cable of course it works).
Many thanks for you help!
16 REPLIES 16
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: wireless printer not connected

I connected my Canon to my router with an ethernet cable.
lav

Thank you for this answer.
But did you connect your printer only the first time or do you have to leave it like that?
Because if that's the case, I don't have the space to do that.  And plugging the computer to the printer with a USB cable would be easier (but not feasable for the same reason and it's supposed to be shared by 3 computers).
I mean, did you plug it for the router to send an IP address to the printer and then back to wireless (for the printer as well as the computer)?
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

What changes did you make on the printer when you changed routers?  Did you reset its wireless configuration or did you set the SSID and encryption on the new router to match the old?  Does the printer allow you to print a page that shows diagnostics such as IP address?
BrightonRock1
Grafter

I don't know if this will help.
When I moved from a BT service to PlusNet I changed router and had to persuade a HP wireless printer to communicate with the new router. HP provide a utility set up their wireless printers. This involves connecting a PC to the printer (temporarily) using a UBS cable. The software gives the printer the wireless access code. Initially this software wouldn't recognise that there was a new router. To get it to work, I had to completely un-install the printer from the PC before installing as a new, first time connection to the printer. In other words, re-installing over the top of an existing system didn't work: I had to clear the system and then treat the printer as completely new.
For what it is worth, WPS didn't work for my system, hence using the utility and the USB cable.
lav

Thank you BrightonRock but I already did this and the result is that the computer seems to recognize the printer but is not able to start it if the USB cable is not plugged.
In the past, I had to reinstall this printer many times and the best was to start like if it was a brand new printer so plug it with USB the first time then configurate in wireless and everything was OK;
But obviously, this doesn't work. And I can't understand where the problem is....
lav

Quote from: pwatson
What changes did you make on the printer when you changed routers?  Did you reset its wireless configuration or did you set the SSID and encryption on the new router to match the old?  Does the printer allow you to print a page that shows diagnostics such as IP address?

I reset the printer. As it didn't work, I removed it completely (and manually) from the computer then reinstalled it again, following the process (first USB, then wireless). Not working.
The odd thing is that the computer knows it's somewhere but the printer always appears NOT CONNECTED.
I couldn't print a test page with the IP on it, even with the USB cable!
I start to think there's also a problem with Window 8.1.
And I am lost as I have this 8.1 for few weeks only, I don't recognize anything, I can't find where the things are (for instance, it seems this b...y machine thinks that there are 2 printers, mine and a virtual one but can't switch.

I just had an idea : I turned on another computer and tried to print a document with the wireless : it works!
So it's definitely a problem with Windows 8.1.
So I am lost...
BrightonRock1
Grafter

Quote from: lav
Thank you BrightonRock but I already did this and the result is that the computer seems to recognize the printer but is not able to start it if the USB cable is not plugged.
In the past, I had to reinstall this printer many times and the best was to start like if it was a brand new printer so plug it with USB the first time then configurate in wireless and everything was OK;
But obviously, this doesn't work. And I can't understand where the problem is....

I rather thought that you might already have done a clean install as I did. Unfortunately I'm on WIN 7 so (looking at your other post) I have no experience on how to deal with a WIN 8.1 problem.
It looks to me (and I suspect that you may have reached this conclusion)  that there has to be something left of the printer from its previous link to your old router, although where or why or how I cannot say. Nor how to get at it. I suspect that Windows is trying to be helpful, which is always difficult. The printer manufacturer may have come across your problem before and know how to clean whatever is blocking the new installation.
Alternatively, perhaps you could regard this as a Windows problem rather than a printer or connection problem? Absent any useful advice here, might it be worth looking for help in one of the Microsoft/Windows forums?
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

You don't say what make and model your printer is, but I've seen many systems (especially W8) confused by having two routes to the printer.
Many modern printers allow "direct" printing where the PC (or other device) talks to it via wireless without using the router as an intermediate.
These two methods can work in parallel, but...........
If your printer is configured to talk to the router it's best to turn off any "direct" capability, usually a button but RTFM.  Wink
hbb98
Dabbler

@lev,
I have an elderly HP 1320nw (from 2005 or so).  It worked fine with various wireless routers.
Then I got an Asus RT N66U, with all mod. wireless cons, and Merlin firmware.  I spent an
entire night trying every combination of "play nice with old gear" features on the router, and
obscure wireless features on the printer.  No dice. The HP wireless was just prehistoric.
In the end I dug out a couple of old powerline plugs, and the HP worked fine over ethernet (over power).
Like you, I needed to have the printer in a particular place, remote from the router. 
In such a case, consider powerline.
lav

' I suspect that Windows is trying to be helpful, which is always difficult'  LOL!
it's probably that.
Few precisions : the printer is an old LEXMARK 4650. It worked with a desktop HP without any trouble with a USD cable.
The 3 computers connected to it at the moment are :
- 1 very old HP laptop with XP (I so regret XP, was so easy)
- 1 less old BELL laptop with Windows 7.something
- 1 brand new ASUS laptop with Windows 8.1
guess which is the one having trouble?
With XP, the laptop found the printer with the new router, I didn't have to do anything, it just worked!
Same with Windows 7.
But with Windows 8.1 I had to set the printer twice with the former router but then it worked more or less. I say more or less, because I noticed that anytime the laptop was on standby, I had to restart it to use the printer. That's for the old router.
With the optic fibre router, it finds the printer but can't communicate with it.
Conclusion : the printer aknowledged the new router so it's not that.
I tried all the help from Lexmark but it didn't solve the problem. I tried Microsoft, I tried new drivers, I tried to uninstall then reinstall, no change.
I just don't know what to do (apart from throwing the new laptop in the bin).
Also I am not a nerd so some explanations are useless because I just can't find where I must click or not (Windows 8.1 is supposed to be easy but when you are used to former systems you just can't find anything!)
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Couple of silly questions:
1. Is it 32-bit or 64-bit W8.1?
2. Have you been to the Lexmark web site and tried to download and install the appropriate drivers, and do they exist?
steveuk
Grafter

Try the windows 8 driver from here inless this is what you are using.
http://support.lexmark.com/index?locale=EN&page=product&productCode=LEXMARK_X4650&userlocale=FR#1
If you also want easyer access to files in windows 8.1 you could try classic shell or a simler program to give you a windows 7 style start menue.
I use classic shell personly as i find it lets me setup my start menue pretty much the same as when i used windows 7.
BrightonRock1
Grafter

@Lav
I'm out of ideas but, if all else fails, try something silly. On your WIN 8 machine, try going into printers (or whatever it is called now) and changing the default printer away from your wireless Lexmark. I seem to have other things that the system thinks are printers so there should be something else on your system that you can change the default to. Possibly re-boot. Then change the default back to the Lexmark. If it is Windows being helpful this might change its mind about what is needed.
lav

It's a 64 bits.
Thank you to all of us, I tried everything, nothing works. But new and interesting, yesterday I couldn't print either with my XP laptop! It worked very well with the USB cable of course, but nothing on the wireless.
That's why I suspect the new router, had no problems before that...
So I will remove completely the printer one more time and try to reinstall it.  Angry