cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wifi with fibre

dumyatkennels

wifi with fibre

I just got plusnet fibre,wifi only getting 4.6 and 2.4. DL and UL speeds, is this normal, Full 40mb off the lan cable, wasn't told this when I joined basically means fibre signal crape unless used direct from the phone plug, any help please
3 REPLIES 3
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: wifi with fibre

Hi there,
I've just been running some fault diagnostics which doesn't show any issues.
With that in mind it sounds like you'd benefit from making a few changes to WiFi settings.
Please take a look at the advice here: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/wireless_broadband/wireless_signal.shtml
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: dumyatkennels
means fibre signal crape unless used direct from the phone plug
No, it just means you need to follow the advice in the link provided by the previous poster or buy  a better router.
You need to be aware however that wifi is never going to perform as well as a wired connection. You'll always lose some of your speed simply because of the overheads of wireless transmission and with today's crowded airwaves most people lose a lot of speed. 4.6Mb/s is a pretty poor even for wifi but anyone getting better than 20Mb/s consistently on wifi is doing well.
You could download a wifi scanner (completely legal) as this will tell you who else is broadcasting in your area and on what channel. You might be lucky and find that there's a channel that's free and you can tell your router to use that. But to be honest unless you live in the middle of the Yorkshire moors or highlands of Scotland you'll probably see half a dozen or more routers listed and not a signal free channel in sight.
If you decide to buy a better router (and PN's are free so you can't expect them to be the best on the market) it'd be wise to get one that is dual band. The higher (5GHz) band is still relatively underused so more likely to reach speeds closer to what your fibre can do. Unfortunately that's useless unless the devices you are using (laptop, tablet, whatever) also support that band.
Wireless is great for convenience and portability but for high throughput nothing beats a physical cable.
Den1
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

also the positioning of the router is crucial to getting the best wireless speeds, not hidden behind the TV or at the back of a cupboard    Wink