Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wifi speeds

bazinga_81
Grafter
Fixes: 1

wifi speeds

i'm with sky at moment and get 38mb download and 9.7mb upload speed when wired but sky's router is shocking for WiFi and acknowledged by sky that it is the router at fault as to why its alot slower for wifi  i get 10-15mb download 6mb upload on wifi is plusnets router the same or will i get a better wifi speed if i was to join also i checked see whats available with plusnet and got guaranteed speed showed as 40mb for both packages does this mean i could buy the 80mb plan and still only get the 40mb?

thanks 

andrew

7 REPLIES 7
BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 20

Re: wifi speeds

Hi bazinga_81,

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for getting in touch with us.

It all depends on what the maximum amount of speed your line can take that depends on what packages are available for you. If it is just showing a maximum of 40Mbps then I would generally advise to just go with the Unlimited Fibre package but it depends if you are wanting a larger upload speed and that is possibly why the Unlimited Fibre Extra package is showing as available.

The best thing to do to find out what is going to be most beneficial for you would be to call our sales team on 0800 432 0080 and they will go through all your needs and give you the options that best suit you.

bazinga_81
Grafter

well sky and bt say if i had there top packages they guarantee 68mb so line must be able handle higher than 40mb and i was looking at the higher package as was looking at adding the tv aswell.

what about wifi and router ? is it as bad as skys router? and is plusnet router 5ghz aswell? if its going to be no better than skys no point in changing really except for the bit of price drop with plusnet.

i dont want ring sales just yet as got a month untill can move so just doing the rounds different isp forums trying get some info from users rather than sales who will say anything to get the sale.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Plusnet's router (the Hub One) is really a rebadged BT Home Hub 5 Type A, so you can google for that if you want to see if it is up to the grade.

Plusnet staff will never guarantee WiFi speeds as it is just too variable and really is out of their control. If a customer has WiFi issues, they will point you to a guide and say "good luck please try this", but in a nicer way than that Smiley.

With Plusnet, you don't need to use their router at all if you don't wish to. Many people just get the Plusnet device as a backup and buy their own for day to day use.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
bazinga_81
Grafter

@SpendLessTime

i dont expect wifi speeds guarantee just want make sure not moving somewhere where it will be as bad as skys and thanks for info on router will check it out and also thats a plus for plusnet being able use own router as with sky you cant you have no choice but to use there's and it is a pile of c**p. 

Andrue
Pro

If speed matters, use Ethernet. Accept no substitutes Smiley

scotland731
Dabbler

I would recommend you google for reviews for the best wifi routers as they will benchmark the wifi speeds along with ranges and also give you the cons of the router too, to get you started here's one for the BT Home Hub 5:

bt-home-hub-5-review

bazinga_81
Grafter

@scotland731

thanks have decided to join plusnet next month when sky contract is up