cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wifi keeps dropping out

DJ67

wifi keeps dropping out

New customer of a couple of months and so frustrated with wifi dropping out on all gadjets so many times , but mostly annoying with TV, firestick and amazon alexa. I had slow sky before and never had a problem, i wish i had never moved. we have tried the suggestions on the plus net video to no avail. 

10 REPLIES 10
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: wifi keeps dropping out

Welcome to the Forum @DJ67 Are you using a Plusnet Hub One? Or your own router?

Have you also tried the helpful check on the Plusnet website that aims to try and improve wifi connections. Start at https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/

There is (or was, a new firmware may have corrected this) a known issue with the Hub One that relates to it connecting on 2 frequencies.. By default they have the same ID which can cause some kit - particularly but not exclusively ithings - to lose connection. The advice is to give the two frequencies two different IDs, See https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Devices-stop-working-on-5-GHz-connection-Wifi-drops/m-p/1395...for how to do it. I don't know whether this will solve your problem but it is a worthwhile second step.

Please let us know how you get on.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for your post @DJ67 and welcome to our Community Forums

I'm sorry to see you're having issues with your wireless connection. I've tested your line today and the tests are showing what's known as a bridge tap which is generally a wiring issue we may need to arrange an engineer visit to resolve.

Could you try plugging your router into what's known as the test socket explained Here first though making sure you're not using any extension cabling between the telephone socket and your router.

This should rule out any internal wiring from causing a problem. Let us know how it goes.

Also I'd recommend trying the steps that @BrightonRock has suggested with regards to giving the two wireless frequencies two different IDs as the bridge tap may or may not be impacting your service or there may be two issues.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DJ67

Hi, we are on the plus net router and done the checks on the plusnet site. 

DJ67

Hi, the router isnt plugged into any extension cable, We are not having any problems with the computer which is directly plugged into the router. the problems are with the wifi connection to tv, tablets phones and alexa etc

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @DJ67 

Ah I see. In that case I'd tackle this from a wireless point of view

Which frequency are your devices connecting to when you're having issues? 2.4GHz or 5GHz?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DJ67

I'm  sorry i havent a clue , how do I find out this? 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @DJ67 

The advice is to give the two frequencies two different IDs, See https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Devices-stop-working-on-5-GHz-connection-Wifi-drops/m-p/1395...for how to do it.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@DJ67 wrote:

Hi, the router isnt plugged into any extension cable, We are not having any problems with the computer which is directly plugged into the router. the problems are with the wifi connection to tv, tablets phones and alexa etc

Which might only serve to indicate that you perceive relatively worse performance over wifi than the wired PC ... which due to the detected bridge tap, might not be as optimal as it might be.  Ensuring that the line is without fault and performing as best as it can, will also contribute to improving the overall wifi experience.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DJ67

Please tell me exactly what you mean by a bridge tap?

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@DJ67  To save the other contributors, this I have copied and pasted from a reliable source:

A Bridge Tap is a physical issue with the copper line that can occur when an unterminated wire is not dealt with correctly (e.g. left connected to your circuit), which may result in your broadband service suffering more disruption due to interference and a higher volume of errors (i.e. your speeds will probably drop). Such problems aren’t a big deal on the voice side but they’re bad for broadband.

John