Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wifi drops frequently for a second them comes back

Isaacjay123
Grafter

wifi drops frequently for a second them comes back

Hi, 

So recently my wifi has been lagging every so oftern (approx. every 3-4 mins) not enough that the wifi turns off, but enough that when listening to spotify or playing games it lags or disconnects from spotify for a few seconds and stops the songs, I do believe this is an issue with the master socket though but I am not too sure myself. 

Is there any test you can run to check? I know that the spikes are not large enough to turn the wifi off. example games will go from 23 ms to 400ms then back down after a few seconds 

39 REPLIES 39
iangilf
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: wifi drops frequently for a second them comes back

have you tried a different wifi channel ?

LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Hi @Isaacjay123,

I'm sorry that you have had problems with your Wi-Fi, it's not ideal and I appreciate how frustrating this can be.

If you are still having issues, please can you establish whether using wired connections (i.e. an ethernet cable) makes any difference. If it is just Wi-Fi, you may find the following troubleshooting link useful:

http://goo.gl/YuPPSP.

To save you calling, you can also get in touch with our Technical Support Team via their live web-chat further down the page (please note that this will require your browser to allow pop-up windows and is subject to agent availability at peak times).

If you continue to experience problems, please respond to this link and let us know that you have done so.

Thanks - LF

Isaacjay123
Grafter

I use wireless however it isn’t possible for me to use wired as the master socket is too far away from anything
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Isaacjay123.

Thank you for confirming that. If possible, I would strongly recommend temporarily moving one of your devices closer to the master socket to run a wired test as this will confirm whether this is solely a wireless issue or if there's something deeper going on.

Please can you confirm whether you've been through the wireless troubleshooting guide here and, if so, whether your connection has improved at all?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Isaacjay123
Grafter

I have managed to try a wired connection however I am still experiencing the same issues , constant ping spikes and sometimes completely knocking off applications as they cannot connect for a while
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @Isaacjay123

Thanks for confirming that this is the same on a wired connection.

I'd recommend raising a fault here and we'll ask our suppliers to take a look at this in more depth - just let us know when you've raised a fault.

Best wishes

Dave

Isaacjay123
Grafter

Hi sorry it’s been quite a while , your engineer did come out to look at the WiFi but said nothing was wrong with it however when tests where ran I was advised that there was a setting slowing down the internet , I am still having issues with the latency and am unsure how to fix this
Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hello @Isaacjay123,

I'm sorry to hear that your are still experiencing connectivity issues.

After testing the line, your connection appears stable while operating within the estimated speed leading up to the router.

Could you confirm if the latency increases are from when you are connected directly to the router via an Ethernet cable without devices such as power line adapters. If you are connected directly by Ethernet, please run a speed test and attach a screenshot of the results on to this thread.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
Isaacjay123
Grafter

The test says 25 ms and that is correct but when okaying any games or watching anything every few minutes or even every couple of seconds that jumps up over 200 ms , I’m not sure why this is but it’s very difficult to see on any tests as it is only for a few seconds but those seconds disconnect laptops and phones from the internet as if the internet stops then restarts
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @Isaacjay123, could you confirm if this is the same on both a wired and wireless connection please.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Isaacjay123
Grafter

Hi yes this was wireless I have tried wired there are lag spikes but I’ve not been able to full test due to my internet being in an awkward spot to try play any games but there was lag spikes when wired
Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @Isaacjay123

I have tested the line and could not find any issues.

If they're wired can you run a traceroute to pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com posting up the results please?

We have also looked into your wireless settings and there is a setting on your router that can sometimes cause the problem you are currently experiencing and it the first thing I would recommend changing.

What we need to change are a couple of settings on the Wireless page of your router's menu. What we are doing is often called 'splitting the networks'.

To do it you will need to get hold of any device with an internet browser on, and it will need to be connected to your Plusnet WiFi or plugged in via an ethernet cable to the router.

1. Please open an internet browser and navigate to the address '192.168.1.254' by typing it into the address bar.

2. You should be greeted by the router's main menu page (saying Plusnet Hub One at the top left). On this screen please click 'Advanced settings' from the four main options at the top of the screen.

3. At this point it will ask you for a password otherwise it will not let you through to the next page, the password to type in here is on the same little card that has your WiFi password on it and is labelled as the 'Admin password for Hub Manager'. The next page is just a screen that asks if you are sure you want to go to the advanced settings page, please click 'Continue to advanced settings'.

4. Now there should be a set of subheadings in the purple bar at the top, go to 'Wireless' (first from the left). Then there is a second set of subheadings just below where you just clicked 'Wireless', please click on the option that says '5 GHz Wireless'

5. There are two things to change on this page: Firstly please ensure that 'Sync with 2.4 GHz' is set to No (this is the second option down). The other thing to change is the 'Wireless SSID' (this is the network name as it appears when you are looking for WiFi networks to join). It doesn't really matter what you change this to as long as it is different to the name that was already there, to avoid confusion I recommend leaving it the same but adding '5GHz' to the end. Once you have made these two changes click apply and 'yes I am sure'

6. That's the hard part done, the final thing to do is to go around each of your wireless devices one time and connect them to the 5GHz network that you just set a new name for, in much the same way as if you were connecting to the WiFi for the first time.  You may find that  some of your devices do not 'see' the 5GHz network, do not worry about this most older devices do not have the ability to see the 5GHz.

Once this has been done, please monitor the quality of the connection for a couple of days and get back in touch if there are still issues.

Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
Isaacjay123
Grafter

Hi , I have tried this however it doesn’t seem to work either , I’m really not sure how to fix as your engineer previously said nothings wrong too but there are always lag spikes and Spotify always breaks up due to the lag
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @Isaacjay123,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue. Just off the back of your latest post, when you're listening to Spotify, is this using a home sound system such as Sonos? I can see in your previous posts that the lag spikes refer to issues that you're having whilst gaming - are you also streaming music whilst gaming and if so is this being done through an alternative device to the one you're gaming on?

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team