cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wi fii coverage

sussex

wi fii coverage

New forum member. I have very poor wi fi connection on first floor of my house. Can anyone recommend a reasonable cost method of extending coverage which which actually works ?
I believe that the extenders that plug in to sockets slow the system down is that correct ?  Thanks for help.
1 REPLY 1
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: wi fii coverage

Quote from: sussex
I believe that the extenders that plug in to sockets slow the system down is that correct ?
That depends exactly what you mean, and what kind of device you buy. If you buy one that is itself wireless then it might run at half the possible speed if it's a cheap unit. This is because it might be using a single channel for everything it does (receiving and transmitting) and while it's doing one it can't be doing the other. More expensive units can use a different channel for receiving than for transmitting and should run at near full speed but the downside is that you then have two wifi channels in your property (your router on one channel, and the new box on another) and that might cause issues with your other devices.
However if you get a WAP (Wireless Access Point) that uses Ethernet or some other wired solution (eg;powerline) for data it should run at full speed. This is what I have. A WAP downstairs connected to the router using Ethernet and the router wifi turned off.
A good article here:
https://www.repeaterstore.com/pages/wifi-booster-repeater-extender-differences