Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why is my speed getting slower?

daskinner
Grafter

why is my speed getting slower?

Hiya
When I got fibre at the start of the year my estimate was 80MB and I was getting 77.4MB as a current line speed.. all good!  however a few days ago my estimate dropped to 72MB and Im getting 70.8MB line speed..
Why has this happened?
23 REPLIES 23
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: why is my speed getting slower?

Our testing isn't showing anything wrong with the line from here.
It could well be down to crosstalk which is interference that builds up as more users swap over to fibre.
Unfortunately it isn't enough of a drop to make our suppliers investigate I'm afraid.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
daskinner
Grafter

Thanks Matt. Hopefully this is as low as it will go..
What would it need to drop to before you will investigate?
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

If the speeds drop below 30% of your original estimate our suppliers will accept it as a fault.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Matthew, you mention 30% below the original estimate. As you probably know, once you are connected, the estimate changes based on the actual sync speed you get.
Can you clarify please for how long the "30% below original estimate" threshold applies? For example, 4 months after installation, does the 30% threshold still apply to the original estimate? (original estimate being the one provided at sign up).
Thanks in advance for any clarification.
XFi

I'm interested in the above also. I took out Plusnet FTTC last year as soon as the cabinet i'm on was enabled. Started of with 55Mbps and now I'm down to 40Mbps. The Plusnet line checker now states that I shouldn't get much more than 35Mbps.
daskinner
Grafter

Another drop.
I've gone from an estimated 80mb getting 77.4mb to estimated 72mb getting 70mb to estimated 72mb getting 66.8mb
Just ran a speed test on the BT page and got the below
Download 65.49mb
Upload 15.63mb
ping 28.25ms
is my line faulty ?
englishrick
Grafter

You have the same problem as me @ daskinner, I also had a sync speed of 77.43 for a year with no problems, i'm now below 60.... Also been told by plusnet that 60 is all my line is capable of.....Mmmmmm NOOOOO I was getting 77.43.... So I have no idea whats going on. There seems to be more and more every day reporting this problem, not only on here but on other forums too... It just cheeses me off that I know my line can handle what I had!!!
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@daskinner
Our testing has flagged up a issue with the phone line which could be the cause. I've raised this for you now
@englishrick
There's numerous reasons why fibre speeds can drop over time. Some things we can try to resolve however others such as crosstalk can't be resolved I'm afraid.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
daskinner
Grafter

Thank you Matthew. I appreciate your help and fast reply.
danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@XFi  Snap! I could easily have written your reply, (I had to look twice in case I had!) Despite checks that showed my line free of interference and crosstalk, I slowed down. PlusNet checked it, found a poor connection and BTO went to the cabinet, remade connections, and reset. Speed returned, but since then has deteriorated back to exactly where it was, where it is now, unwavering for weeks.
I have concerns that speeds are too quickly slowed and too slowly restored, by DLM, or by some kind of intervention, annoyingly. Once slow, getting them restored seems to take longer than forever. If there's a cause behind the slow down (and there must be), surely that can be addressed and speed returned?
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Quote from: jafreer
Matthew, you mention 30% below the original estimate. As you probably know, once you are connected, the estimate changes based on the actual sync speed you get.
Can you clarify please for how long the "30% below original estimate" threshold applies? For example, 4 months after installation, does the 30% threshold still apply to the original estimate? (original estimate being the one provided at sign up).
Thanks in advance for any clarification.

I know for a fact they don't go by the original estimate when i joined plusnet back in March 2014 my estimate was 67Mb I Synced at 65Mb more than happy, all was great until three months later I get a line fault sync drops to 50Mb, i get the line fault fixed but sync doesn't return back, i ask for a engineer to visit to see why speed hasn't come back was told they can't send one because my estimate was 38Mb and i was above this,  I told support that my estimate was 67Mb  when i signed up  they told me it may have been but it's not any longer and they go by what it's currently set to so I had no help, The estimate has since risen back up a little to 42Mb but still way off the original.       
daskinner
Grafter

Quote from: Matthew
@daskinner
Our testing has flagged up a issue with the phone line which could be the cause. I've raised this for you now
@englishrick
There's numerous reasons why fibre speeds can drop over time. Some things we can try to resolve however others such as crosstalk can't be resolved I'm afraid.

Hello PN, has there been any update on this?
daskinner
Grafter

I'm guessing that's a no.
dick:quote
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

The phone line fault has been sorted but the speeds are still the same I'm afraid.
I don't think there'll be much we can do as it isn't big enough of a drop to investigate.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team