cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why is my exchange limited to 'up to 40Mbps'

DougMacp
Dabbler

why is my exchange limited to 'up to 40Mbps'

Hi,we're excited to get fibre after struggling with 3.5Mbps max over the last few years but can anyone explain why our exchange only offers 'up to 40Mbps' (see attachment) and not the higher 'up to 80 Mbps'? (see attachment)
The cabinets have only just been installed over the last few weeks and there is supposedly some sort of exchange work being done in early September  (changing to WBC?) so perhaps there will be further upgrades ?
6 REPLIES 6
itsme
Grafter

Re: why is my exchange limited to 'up to 40Mbps'

It's what your line can support and not what's available.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

but can anyone explain why our exchange only offers 'up to 40Mbps' (see attachment) and not the higher 'up to 80 Mbps'? (see attachment)
All exchanges offer up to 80Mb but any individual speed will depend heavily on the distance from the cabinet. In your case I suspect you are some distance from the cabinet and therefore your estimated speeds are well down on the maximum 80Mb.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DougMacp
Dabbler

I'm pretty much right next to the cabinet. It's only 20 metres outside my door and we watched them installing it.
Starmans
Grafter

Its more related to where your PCP cabinet is located and what kind of length the copper D side is - because the cabinet is only a short distance away do not mean the copper takes that direct straight route unfortunately.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I'm pretty much right next to the cabinet. It's only 20 metres outside my door and we watched them installing it.
That's odd then, from the typical VDSL speed  vs Distance graph in this link http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2013/chart-bt-fttc-vdsl2-speed-against-distance the estimate seems to think you're about 900m line length to the cabinet. As Starmans says , the cable routing can be different to the direct line of sight. It's difficult to see how you'd need 900m of cable to a cab 20m away no matter how it's routed. Are you sure that's the correct cabinet ? your estimate says you're connected to PCP Cabinet No 2. Maybe you're not actually connected to the nearest cabinet. Failing that , it could be just an error in BT's database... 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DougMacp
Dabbler

That's true. I'm just assuming I'm connected to that cabinet 'cos I could hit it with a peashooter. I guess I'll find out on the install date. Thanks for all replies 