cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why has my download speed dropped

nonamesleft
Grafter

why has my download speed dropped

i have noticed that my download speed has dropped from the 70 b down to mid 50's over the past 3 months can anyone from plus net explain this please?
4 REPLIES 4
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: why has my download speed dropped

Quote from: nonamesleft
my download speed has dropped from the 70 down to mid 50's over the past 3 months can anyone from plus net explain this please?
It's probably crosstalk. Is yours a new cabinet? It's very much expected that as more and more lines are activated on a cabinet the chances of them interfering with each other will increase. But even on a well established cabinet you can sometimes be unlucky with a sudden drop after several years of good speeds. It all depends on which cables are carrying the service and how close they are to your cable.
BT have trialled a technology called 'Vectoring' that is intended to mitigate this effect but it's very unclear at the moment if they are intending to roll this out across the country, part of the country or nowhere outside of the existing trial areas.
nonamesleft
Grafter

thats all well and good but you should get close to what speed your paying for. looking at my speed report it went down over a 7 day period. see attached screen shot
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

thats all well and good but you should get close to what speed your paying for.

Unfortunately speeds can change, however I can see that you are still above the estimate for your line that we provided initially.
Estimated speed: 46 Mbps
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: nonamesleft
thats all well and good but you should get close to what speed your paying for.
You are Smiley
You have paid for an up to 76Mb/s service. That is - a service that provides at least 10% of the ISP's customers with a connection speed of at least 76Mb/s. Now whether you are one of that 10% or your line connects slower is neither here nor there. Services are rarely held to any particular end result. As long as the provider isn't incompetent, isn't overcharging you and treats you fairly they have met their obligations.
Your initial estimate was just that - an estimate. It's not legally binding. Now most ISPs (and even BT) will investigate if your speed falls significantly below service expectations but that's their choice in an attempt to keep customers happy.