Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

who are BT Americas.

Griff7520
Grafter

who are BT Americas.

Hi all

anyone know why my service provider comes up as BT Americas.. When I do a speed check it comes up as my provider. Also when I connect to team speak, team speak thinks I am based in the USA.

Another thing is when I use dns leak webpage it says I am actually in Huntly in Scotland, I actually live near Oswestry in Shropshire

any ideas?
3 REPLIES 3
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: who are BT Americas.

There's a sticky thread in this forum which may help.

It's the second one...

Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

As Brownie advises this is a known problem (https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Feedback/IP-addresses-not-UK-Can-customers-please-report-any-p...). It is due to there being a shortage of IPv4 addresses and some being transferred from the USA. If the DNS server you are using has not been updated with the change of location of your IP address then you get this situation. The Scottish location should be ignored. This is not related to your location. At least this database identifies the transfer to the UK.

If this is causing you problems then one work around until it is fixed is to use a free VPN browser extension. I have Windscribe installed on a Chrome browser https://windscribe.com/vpn-for-chrome. This can be turned on or off with the click of an icon and you get 2MB of free usage per month or 10GB if you register. With this you can select which country your end IP address is registered in. If you select UK your problem will be solved up to the free data limit.  

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Griff7520
Grafter

Thanks  for the reply.

Its not giving any problems for me, was just wondering what was going on. I am a premium account holder with Windscribe. I was wondering if it was Windscribe that was actually causing the issue.