cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what stability profile are we on and can we change it

bluewhale
Rising Star

what stability profile are we on and can we change it

on kitz there is a description of how the DLM works, i noticed the following section

can someone from plusnet tell me which stability level i am on as it seems to suggest this will be speed and as i have youview ( iptv ) i would rather have it as stable

i ask this as i have had stability issues for months now and in the end the profile has been reset, but i suspect it will destabilise as the DLM learns to make my line faster...

=============== from http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/DLM.htm

Stability Levels

There are three levels of stability profiles which may be applied to a line.  The level of stability may have been chosen by the end-user, but usually the ISP will select a default profile on behalf of the user.  This stability preference affects how the DLM will react to any period of instability on the line.

Stability Level WBC Profile (20/21CN) NGA Profile (FTTC) Description

1. Aggressive Standard Speed Prioritise speed over stability for online gamers
2. Normal Stable Standard Best overall balance between speed and stability
3. Stable Super Stable Stable Prioritise stability over speed for IPTV
  Custom (SIN 472)   Allows a CP to specify the thresholds which DLM will manage the line towards.
There is some confusion over the naming & mapping of profiles between BTw and BToR - the latter of which does not allow for interleaving to be turned off for FTTC, despite mention being made in various documents. 
  • ISP's known to use NGA Speed Profile: AAISP, BT, Plusnet, Zen.
  • ISP's known to use NGA Standard Profile: EE, Sky, TalkTalk, Vodafone.
10 REPLIES 10
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: what stability profile are we on and can we change it

ISPs have no control over DLM on fibre so i'm not sure they can do what your asking for DLM picks what it feels is best for the line, ISP control is something that has been asked for for some time now but Openreach have always refused it.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

ISPs do get the select the stability profile.

bluewhale
Rising Star

yes i'm pretty sure that for FTTC that they can request this profile stability setting, of course that's openreach, whether btwholesale will allow plusnet to ask for it is another question. for example i know that openreach have an engineer callout called boost, but btwholesale do not allow plusnet to ask for this, the only allow plusnet to ask for engineer callouts that involve an engineer visiting your house...

which is why i want someone from plusnet to answer this question

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

As discussed via your ticket I've placed an order to set the stability option to "Super Stable"

This should complete on Monday.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
seanius
Dabbler

Hi Plusnet - How would I go about having my line changed to Super Stable also? I have similar issues with drop outs and would like to request a more stable line.

bluewhale
Rising Star

might be worth waiting to see if the problem gets fixed with us first, can't imagine it'll take more than a couple of days to see if any real difference

although not sure what profile i am now on, hopefully gandalf can confirm my order has been completed

Gandalf is there a way we can see what stability profile we are on ,perhaps something a plusnet bod can dev on a web page or somewhere?

bluewhale
Rising Star

so looks like the DLM is now leaving it up in the 6db range after the stability change

although bit early to be totally sure,  but prior to the change it was sliding down to 3db and that caused i think a disconnect

since late monday it's been stable with no disconnects

here is the last 24 hours, as you can see hanging around the 6db area

RSHub-NoiseMargin-20171108-152353.jpg

this is the last few days, you can see pre monday it dropping down to 3db area and a dropout caused,

but post the stability config change it climbs back up and seems to be staying there, fingers crossed i've fixed the issue

RSHub-NoiseMargin-20171108-152247.jpg

bluewhale
Rising Star

oops looks like i spoke too soon, looks like the DLM has moved me back to the 3db profile last night

RSHub-NoiseMargin-20171109-112000.jpg

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Apologies for the delayed response here.

@seanius

I'll be happy to put your service on the stability option of Super Stable if you still want?

At the moment, it does look like you are on 3db.

Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream 3dB, Retransmission High - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Retransmission Low

@bluewhale

It doesn't look like the target SNR has dropped back down to 3db.

Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off

Gandalf is there a way we can see what stability profile we are on ,perhaps something a plusnet bod can dev on a web page or somewhere?

I imagine that'll require a bit of development work and as it'll probably require integrating our supplier systems into your account, I'm not sure if it's possible or something we'd do.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bluewhale
Rising Star

well if i'm not on the 3db profile then something is very badly wrong, you can see my snr bouncing about and a disconnect and after the disconnect coming back at around 3db, currently on 3.6 db and dropping

going to be interesting when that automatic compensation payment kicks in at £8 a day, maybe then plusnet will start to feel like we do and start screaming at btwholesale and openreach to sort it out

RSHub-NoiseMargin-20171110-163226.jpg