cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using my own router!

crosfield2010

using my own router!

Hello Everyone...I am new to plusnet...Fibre installed yesterday!
Presently using the plusnet router which is surprisingly good...and setting up the wifi settings is really easy...because plusnet put all the passwords etc on a useful little card!
However prior to my installation I bought a router on amazon which I am reliably informed is compatible...it is an ASUS  RT-AC66U
However when I tried to set the Asus up for wifi...all that is listed is the makers name ASUS  and being really dim with technology I have no idea where to find wifi password etc!
Can any of you clever people out there help?
8 REPLIES 8
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: using my own router!

Hi, and welcome to the forum Smiley
In common with most retail routers, the Asus needs to be configured by you for the SSID (network name) and wireless security.
Apart from the supplied documentation, there are guide online such as this one that should help you out.
HTH
crosfield2010

Thank-you so much for replying....and indeed the enclosed link....it is still a tad too difficult for my simple brain...however I have a more Tech Savvy pal coming to see me on Friday,and he will probably figure it out!
Thankyou once again!
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Your buddy will easily sort you out I'm sure. I've been using the slightly older RT-N56U for a couple of years & it's really good. You'll notice a considerable increase in speed, particularly on 5 Ghz. Oh yes, & welcome to both PN & this informative forum.  Smiley
crosfield2010

Wow! I have to say you guys are very friendly...Thanks for being so Welcoming!
That's interesting you reckon that using the Asus router will speed things up...Because I am already pretty impressed with the speed using the Plusnet Router!
Essexlad
Dabbler

Here's my RT-N66U setup.  You can change all the details on this page in the router.

Hope this helps a bit Smiley
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Essexlad - Your config is wrong regarding WAN IP address.  The router should be set to "Get the WAN IP automatically" as PN implement static IPs by always giving you the same one.  However, as some are finding at the moment, very occasionally PN need to have a tidy up and may change the IP that is allocated for your connection, or perhaps change subnet masks and gateways...
crosfield2010

Thanks once again...All you Guys!
As already stated and to misquote Winnie the Pooh  " I am a bear with very little brain and technology bothers me"
Essexlad
Dabbler

Quote from: pwatson
Essexlad - Your config is wrong regarding WAN IP address.  The router should be set to "Get the WAN IP automatically" as PN implement static IPs by always giving you the same one.  However, as some are finding at the moment, very occasionally PN need to have a tidy up and may change the IP that is allocated for your connection, or perhaps change subnet masks and gateways...

That screenshot wasn't supposed to get posted - an error on my part with the link, as you may have noticed I corrected it almost immediately Smiley