Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using my Asus RT-AC68U with the Plusnet Hub One

mlavende
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

using my Asus RT-AC68U with the Plusnet Hub One

Hi,
just signed up for fibre. The Hub One is on the way to me.
I want to still use my Asus RT-AC68U router so can I just plug this into the WAN port of the Hub One or do I need to do more? I'm assuming there are settings in the Hub One which allow it to be used in 'modem only' mode.
Thanks
-Mat
5 REPLIES 5
AndrewMolyneux

Re: using my Asus RT-AC68U with the Plusnet Hub One

I've just received my Hub One, which I was hoping to use in exactly the same way as you. However, it doesn't seem to have a "modem mode" or anything similar, unless the feature is hiding somewhere? I'm thinking I might have to stump up for a separate VDSL modem.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Whilst I don't have a Hub 1, I do have a BT HH5, which I believe is the same. If you connect the Hub 1 to the DSL line, and connect the Asus to a Lan port you will get a conflict of IP addresses, but changing the Asus IP range to something other than 192 will work, in my case, I have a Netgear router plugged into my HH5, and have changed the default Netgear 192, to 10. Hope this makes sense!
mlavende
Rising Star

Hi Both,
so it seems like, although there is a WAN port, I can't use it, but may be able to 'fudge' something using a LAN port. Is that what you're saying?
I guess that will work instead.
Thanks
-Mat
wayyoung
Rising Star

Hi,
I had a TP-Link W8870 wired into the Hub One and it worked fine. I set the W8870 to DHCP relay and specified the address as that of the hub one so it would deal with DHCP, bypassing the TP-Link.
That's one simple way of achieving what you want 😉
Tony
mlavende
Rising Star

Thanks Tony,
I'll have a play when it arrives and when I get Fibre switched on.
Basically my current network has all devices hanging off 192.168.2.xxx. Some of them are fixed and don't use DHCP.
When I'm 'fibred up' what I would like to do is unplug my current ADSL modem and replace it with the VDSL modem without making any (or minimal) changes to my Asus Router or devices with fixed IP Addresses.
Sounds like this might be a possibility then
Cheers
-Mat