cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using BT Home Hub 5 on PN

MrDodge
Hooked

using BT Home Hub 5 on PN

Several users have reported success with the BT Home Hub 5 replacing both the Fibre OpenReach modem and the Technicolor 582n router that PN provide.
That sounds promising, but after browsing some of the threads on here, I'm still confused on the following points:
*Is this only possible with a BT Home Hub bought independently from somewhere like dabs.com, or can it also be done with a unit supplied by BT as part of a broadband package? Plusnet staff have stated that the "retail version" of the BT Home Hub 5 is ok on PN. Does this mean a Home Hub bought independently?
*users have stated that the BT Home Hub 5 is "impossible to unlock". What is meant by this, and what restrictions does this impose on the user?
*some users have commented that Home Hub 5 has "high ping". What is meant by this, and is this still an issue?
14 REPLIES 14
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: using BT Home Hub 5 on PN

Any version of the HH5 will work on PN. I have used one previously with BT.
No Unlock, means you are limited to what they supply by the way of the web pages, no telnet access to the device.
High ping, no idea as the HH5 is not pingable from the wan.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Personally, I've never used a HomeHub, but I know lots of our customers have.
I do not believe that BT lock their devices, and if I am correct in this belief, this would mean that you can use either one from them or one from DABS with no real issues.
Generally speaking, you won't notice any high ping unless there is a problem with the account (unlikely) or maybe if you play lots of online games. If you are browsing or streaming, I doubt you'll notice.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Hi,
Pleased you ask!
Please find here - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,113872.0.html
This link helps you set up your hub regardless if it's hub 4 or 5.
The BT hub 5 (I'm using one, a type B to be exact) and works great.
BT only lock their devices so other than BT or Plusnet (Plusnet is not blocked because it is owned by BT) Other ISP's can't use the BT Hubs.  Some TalkTalk customers have had success for using the hub, but can't confirm.
Your hub can be either from a retailer or BT direct (even if it was on a broadband package with BT)
I'm using my BT hub 5 which was supplied when I was with BT, but now I'm back with Plusnet, because secretly I missed them!
In regards to the high ping, I don't know what you are talking about.  Could it be that the Hub 5 is not ping*able*? The Hub 5 is not ping*able* this means that you can't use Think BroadBand connection monitor, don't worry as a standard internet user, even me don't use this feature.
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Home Hubs should also work with Madasafish and other Plusnet domains as well, aiui.
Grezzer36
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Have had my HH5 type A  running on new fibre connection for a month now, no probs at all. Had engineer do initial set up with BT modem & PN router, then replaced both with Hub after week. Got it off eBay, was a replacement sent to BT cust. Worked ok on ADSL prior to fibre connect.
Thanks again northEasterner for great thread. Your initial thread & advice you gave was of great help to me when making decision.
Smiley
XVF
Dabbler

I'm in the process of switching from BT to PN, and love my HH5, and would very much like to keep it.
I'm not able to change the username or password in 'advanced settings' as they are greyed out. Did you have this issue, or can I just run with the BT username and password?
If it's a problem, can I get an older or non-BT version of the firmware I can flash?
Thanks
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Reset it.
Then you can add the user/pw if you select "other" as the bb provider. If you use it as is you will still have FON enabled (and you will not be able to use other FON sites)
No need to flash it, in fact there isn't any f/w available for it.
XVF
Dabbler

Great stuff. Thank you.
I assume I can't backup my settings and reload them post reset/reconfigure, as the username and password fields will just be reset to the BT values?
Only asking, as I have a very heavily modded config.
I might just get hold of a second hub5 now and pre-mod it (always good to have a spare, anyway) as it'll be a couple of weeks before I get switched, and I don't then want to be without internet while I mess around with the hub settings...
An iplayer-less wife would not be a pretty sight..
Thanks again
HairyMcbiker
All Star

No DON'T re-apply backed up settings (from a previous isp), it will restore the BT user & FON.
Didn't think you COULD mod the HH5 that much, or do you mean port forwards etc?
What I do with router switches is print off the screen with all the forwarding on it so I can re-create it. (Either paper copy of saved web pages)
Just watch you get the ip addresses the same, not much of an issue with the same router that though.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

The boxes become user configurable once there is no BT connection to the hub.
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
ricke17
Grafter

I have posted this on another sub forum - but thought as this thread is acvtive I would post here.
Does the HH5 get firmware updates despite being on pn?
I have been having random disconnects and reboots recently which has instigated DLM (annoyingly).
It appears that last night BT pushed out firmware updates to address potential issues (https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/BT-Home-Hub-5A-dropping-connection-updates/td-p/1449945 and http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/52465/?s_cid=con_FURL_help/hub5update).
I was wondering if anyone has had firmware updates applied to their HH5 A routers?  My current firmware is: 4.7.5.1.83.8.204
Rick.
Fibre Broadband 80/20, Netgear D7000
jsm51
Grafter

Yes, despite being on PN, BT (or I'm assuming it's BT or their agents) seem to talk to the HH5 frequently. My Type A box was updated to the same firmware build as you on 16/01.
I would have recommended the HH5 until recently but there now appear to be daily breaks in service, right in the middle of the day, for some admin-type activity. This can get annoying. It only seems to affect the PPPOE session so has not had any impact on the sync speed. In fact this is now a high as it has been at around 19.7Mb/s which is pretty good for my copper/aluminium/wet string line.
ricke17
Grafter

Thats reassuring - thanks for confirming that!
Fibre Broadband 80/20, Netgear D7000
XVF
Dabbler

Thanks HMB & NE. That's what I thought.
I've just bought a second hub5, so will prep it in advance. I'll probably factory reset it, configure it as non-BT and then manually configure it as BT (i.e. type the BT username and blank password in). Sounds nuts, but that way, I can test it (I bought SH from eBay) on BT, then just change the login dets when I get switched to PN.
I know you can't change that many things in the hub5, but I have a very large wired and wireless network, and I've named all my connected devices, as I'm not good at remembering dozens and dozens of MACs! I also have several complex port forwards, as I externalise many devices/servers to the net, plus IP/network settings, DHCP settings, wireless settings, Dynamic DNS, DMZ etc.
So, not the end of the world to redo, but I'll be glad when it's all done and backed up again! I used the screen print method when I upgraded from a hub3.
Can you tell me if it's possible to alter the primarary and secondary DNS settings in non-BT mode?
Thanks for your help.