cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

useless fibre

greenall69
Dabbler

useless fibre

Switched from adsl a week a go, worst mistake ever, download speeds no better, connection dropping out, when my son tries to connect he kept getting thrown of the network, in a word USELESS, the router is in the same place as on adsl my son and I both run identical tablets so it's not that, I'm gutted that I made the switch, I details would not recommend anyone else to do it, please help
20 REPLIES 20
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: useless fibre

Hi there,
I've had a look over your account and can see several disconnections recently. The router should perform the same as the previous one, as the hardware is the same in the ADSL and Fibre routers, so I'm a bit confused about that one. I wonder if the connection drops are causing the issues you're seeing.

Do you have any devices other than the tablets so you can test the speeds via a wired connection?
I'd also suggest raising a fault with us at https://faults.plus.net so we can perform some line tests and take a look at what's going on.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
greenall69
Dabbler

Hi, Yeh I gave hard wired my laptop with similar results, I was hoping it was an easy boost your end, I'm ever the optimist, cheers
thesawdust
Grafter

Get a ticket open, PlusNET are pretty good at fault fixing. Don't give up yet  Wink in a short time you'll be happy with the switch
Chris
Legend

Unfortunately on fibre we don't have a lot of control from our side unlike ADSL2+, we're more reliant on engineers to resolve faults. Get the fault ticket open and we'll take a look.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
greenall69
Dabbler

Still the problem persists.how can adsl be better than fibre?.your quick to get the custom but plead ignorance or pass the buck when anything hoes wrong.disgusted.maybe i should ge dial up.slow but reliable
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Have you reported the fault as advised?
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
caryh
Grafter

Quote from: greenall69
Still the problem persists.how can adsl be better than fibre?.your quick to get the custom but plead ignorance or pass the buck when anything hoes wrong.disgusted.maybe i should ge dial up.slow but reliable

I think it was just being pointed out they have less control over fibre than ADSL, in response to your statement that you hoped they could just do something on their side. I did not see it as passing the buck just a statement of facts in response to your earlier statement. You have allowed less than 24 hours from your initial post before stating they are pleading ignorance and passing the buck. Have you tried another router, or another cable from socket to router, both of which could be an issue. You don't give much info for anybody to try and help you.
I suggest following whatever advice plusnet are trying to give you,as they are no different to most other provider when it comes to fibre faults, as almost all providers are contrained by BT's repair/investigation process to some extent.
greenall69
Dabbler

Hi, fault is reported, I'm just really frustrated, never had a problem with adsl, as soon as my son tries to log on, it keeps kicking him of, signal keeps on dropping in and out, router is in same position as last, changed all the cables but nothing works, we use identical tablets etc but no joy
greenall69
Dabbler

today is monday and still i wake up to connection disconnecting  again,call customer services and they aint helpfull,i cn only see this going to ofcom as plusnet customer services are useless,its a shame as in the past i have never had  problem with them,
greenall69
Dabbler

another thing.just done a speed test and download is showing as 5.6mb,which is worse than my adsl.
im so happy signing up to a inferior service
sjptd
Grafter

On possible issue is that you have star wiring, where an extension has been taken from a junction box before the master socket.  The extensions may be regular phone extensions, or old Sky boxes or alarm systems.  It will be a problem whether or not the extension is actually in use.  The installer should check for these and correct them, but they often don't.  When my FTTC was installed I didn't know about the issues but was suspicious and asked the installer, he explicitly told me that it was not a problem.  I saw initial speeds around 60Mbps which very quickly dropped to 12Mbps.  When rectified later,  my connection went to around 70Mbps.
You should be able to check fairly easily yourself just by looking and tracing back the phone line from the master socket to where it enters the house, but sometimes there are junction boxes hidden in very inaccessible places.
Star wiring does not matter with ADSL (as long as the extension has proper filters), but causes huge problems with VDSL/FTTC.
greenall69
Dabbler

hi,just checked wiring,there i nothing before the master socket
Chris
Legend

We've got your fault report, I would ask that you allow us to respond to it before adding more comments as this can cause the ticket to go to the back of the queue each time you update.
I'm sorry that this is so frustrating for you, but we will do everything we can to get this sorted for you.
greenall69
Dabbler

Hi, I'm still no the wiser, basically your saying it's nothing your end, I'm confused as the speed still isn't fantastic, thanks and sorry for banging on, craig