cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upload speed increase misleading

stabby

upload speed increase misleading

I got an email back in April saying the upload speed was being increased from 1.9mb (20) to 9.5 (80) this is for them who are on the 80/20 package, 38 speed package is going up to 10 which is 1mb.

I rang PlusNet up and was told I had to upgrade my package in order to have the faster upload speed. as my package which I was on 80/20 won't handle the speed. I did think 9.5 is a lot seeing as my download max is 9mb? so how can my upload be the same as my download?

it turns out those on the 80/20 package won't see any change, the email is very misleading. and PlusNet told me lies on the phone. I'm not happy being lied too and getting emails that are misleading people in order to sign them up. or put them onto a new package which is a new contract, if your old one has expired. I'm sure those reading this will be disappointed to know they have been mislead by PlusNet.

this is an excerpt from the Email

Here are just some of the great things you’ll see:              

• Our superfast fibre broadband is even faster - we’ve increased upload speeds from up to 1.9Mbps to up to 9.5Mbps (that’s 5 x faster).**
  • We’re boosting our UK customer service team - there will be even more friendly, helpful people on hand to help.      
  • Our Caller Display will be free for everyone - so you’ll be able to see who’s calling.
7 REPLIES 7
steveocee
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: upload speed increase misleading

Are you sure you haven't simply misinterpreted that as MB rather than the Mb it really is?
I was not a customer at that time but that reads to me that lower speed customers upload will improve from 2Mb to 10Mb.

Note that refers to Mb (megabit) not MB (megabyte). For reference Mb is the usual measure for speed where MB is the usual measure for data amount.

I wouldn't say there is any lies or falsity in there rather than just a mistake of units. Broadband speed should really always be referred to in Mb so for your 80/20 service you would not expect to see any change at all.
www.steveocee.co.uk
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Why didn't you strike when the iron was hot?

There are loads of comments here about the latest price 'refresh' and confusion around a possible speed increase.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Hi there.

I think there may have been some confusion caused here.

The upload speed increase refers to our customers who were on our 40/2 package.

As you're on the 80/20 package this change didn't affect you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
stabby

I know how the speed it read, a lot get confused with. 80 is read as mbps on most sites, but in MB is around 9mb sec. upload is read at max 20 which is around 2.0mb the email was no doubt a mistake. so why did they tell me on the phone it would be faster.? that's the part I don't like. they should of corrected the mistake known 38 customers where the ones getting the upgrade. and not the 80/20. so now I changed my package after them telling me I needed too in order to get the faster upload. I did say this in the original post. if anyone cares to read it..

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

What are your estimates given as on here?  The speed changes happened in November (hence the past tense in the extract from the email you posted), so it could be that the agent you spoke to thought you were asking for the faster upload speed of Fibre Unlimited Extra, which is why they suggested you upgrade.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

The speed changes were also mentioned in the latest price 'refresh' email...
stabby

I use different sites to compare I'm running on wireless so its going to be a bit less, wired is always faster. I do get a good speed up and down. I don't have a problem with the service its just what he said on the phone, he knew what package I was on. so you cant say he didn't know. maybe a new guy who needs more training.  I can hit on Wi-Fi around 8mb around (70) and can hit 2.1mb around (20) so I can't complain, not everyone gets them speeds to be honest. these are on wireless not wired it's faster on wired, I'm connected to the router on the 5ghz setting and connected around 300 to 350 which is good for Wi-Fi.