Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unstable connection

kevanfulton
Hooked

unstable connection

Hi there,

I have been getting warnings of an unstable connection when using zoom and simialr and frequently getting cut off of video calls. The router seems to have a blue light when this happens. I have looked into the wifi channel and there doesnt appear to be any conflict with other signals close by. No other potential sources of interference in use at the time. It happens when im close to the router and further away. Its provong to be problemtic as im doing a lot of work from home.

I havent noticed it being an issue when streaming tv.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Kevan

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: unstable connection

@kevanfulton  Welcome to the forum.

When you are streaming most traffic is downloading. With zoom you are also uploading video as well  What results do you get if you do a speed test and what speed have you been promised?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

It is quite possible you are experiencing some packet loss - TV streaming buffers 10-20 seconds of video so can hide erratic download speeds, while Zoom can't buffer as it needs to be in real time for you to hold a conversation. That makes Zoom, and other video chat applications, susceptible to any packet loss or delays.

You really need to check your router stats to see what's really happening. If you post them here somebody may be able to comment of them.

kevanfulton
Hooked

Here is my package

• Product: Unlimited Fibre
  • Estimated Download Range: 20 - 29Mbps
  • Estimated Upload Range: 4 - 6Mbps
  • Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 18.2Mbps
  • Current Line Speed (Download): 27.8Mbps

speedtest results are 25.8 mbps down 5.03 up latency 35ms

what router stats would be helpful?

kevanfulton
Hooked

I think the problem is specific to my laptop. Speed test on my mobile just now is saying 17mb down and 5 up and my partner is currently on a video call and she isnt having any connection problems. I'm trying to do a speedtest on my laptop and its not able to connect to the server or its saying latency is 204ms upload is 2mb and down is 0.8mb. i have tried a few different sites and the result is the same. I have been able to do them previously so its not a consistent problem. Router currently has all devices on the 5ghz network.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

ecrTech
Grafter

Hi 

What’s your Laptop Model?

Does it support 5ghz signal?

kevanfulton
Hooked

Its an HP elitebook. Its pretty new and it usually works on the 5ghz network. intel wifi 6 ax200 adapter. Speed test results are back to normal now and it has me on the 2.5 network. Does the router assign you to a network automatically? 

ecrTech
Grafter

Good to know👍

Re-check Ethernet Cable Connection, lose cables can inter fear with stable connection, and too many wireless devices close to each other can affect the wireless signal.

Once you setup your PlusNet Hub One it should reconnect upon disconnection, as long as you don’t do factory resetting.