unrequested upload speed change and now no internet connection

FIXED
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: unrequested upload speed change and now no internet connection

Hi @rogerclark10 

After a bit of determination I can see we got your fibre order brought forward to today and while the order hasn't completed in the system yet, a drop we're seeing in your connection may indicate work has been carried out.

As I'm about to leave the office in 4 minutes I'll check again on the progress tomorrow.

In the meantime how are things your side?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
rogerclark10
Dabbler

Hi @Gandalf !
Yes they came and did the work and now the hg612 stats show 36.5 mbs down and over 8 mbs up. But ... i still only achieve 0.2 mbits down and about 4.5 up, which is actually slightly worse than the adsl was giving us on the download. That was almost 0.28 mbs !. I've tried the older openreach modem as well as the hg612, swapped cables, connected directly from windows10 by cable and the result never varies. ( I could try your new modem router that i ordered but it hasn't arrived as yet) . I don't know what else to to do.
Does that sound like a line fault on this side of the cabinet?
You've been splendid getting things this far - I didn't really expect the openreach guy to turn up!
Roger
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hey Roger, thanks for the update. It’s good to see your line speeds back up Thumbs_Up I’ll test your line tomorrow once the order has completed and investigate the issue with your actual download speeds.
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @rogerclark10 

Looks like your sync rate on standard broadband went down to around 0.2mbps and when your fibre order completed the profile on your account didn't update as the product change to fibre is still pending to complete on the 05/08/2019.

We've manually updated the profile now to up to 40mbps, once you reboot your router you should see the full speeds capable of your fibre line. Upon testing your line I've also noticed there's what's called a Loop Rectified fault detected.

This is basically a short circuit somewhere and can generally cause intermittent connection/speed issues sometimes gradually getting worse over time until it knocks off a connection and/or phone service altogether.

To try to narrow down where the issue lies, would you possibly be able to disconnect your equipment from the master telephone socket removing the front faceplate, then let me know and I'll retest your line to see whether the issue still exists.

If that's not possible, as the next step it may be worth connecting your modem/router directly into the test socket socket (Found behind the faceplate explained Here). We'll then retest your line, that should at least rule out any internal wiring.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
rogerclark10
Dabbler

You're a genius @Gandalf . A fast broadband connection miraculously appeared! I have now disconnected the faceplate. I have a microfilter handy so I could connect the modem to the master socket if you need me to.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@rogerclark10 That's good to see Thumbs_Up we're still seeing that same fault, just to confirm behind the faceplate is there another phone socket to the lower right hand corner and there was nothing plugged into that?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
rogerclark10
Dabbler

@Gandalf that is confirmed. The faceplate is removed and there is nothing in the exposed telephone socket.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks Roger. I bet that the rain outside hasn't helped as dampness is also a common cause for a loop rectified/short circuit fault. I think we'd need to arrange an engineer visit to investigate further, could you add a reply to your support ticket 192325416 with when you'll be available for an engineer to visit and investigate further?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
rogerclark10
Dabbler

@Gandalf I will do that now over my new connection. It has been very, very wet here recently.
Thanks again Anoush for your efforts - world class customer support. I wonder if it might be an idea to take the case up to senior management as a case study for an improved service level agreement with Openreach. Your company is rightly known for good customer service and that gets compromised by their lack of urgency.
Power to your elbow.
Roger
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cheers for getting back to me Roger and again for your kind words and feedback. I'll be happy to see what I can do to pass this on internally. For now I've booked you in for an engineer visit this coming Monday in the afternoon. 

Power to your elbow.

Cheesy

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet