Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unrequested upload speed change and now no internet connection

FIXED
rogerclark10
Dabbler

Re: unrequested upload speed change and now no internet connection

Thanks @Baldrick1 As per Gandalf's message above I will uprade myself back to FTTC! My son and grandaughter have been like addicts on withdrawal!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

I might have a go at unlocking

@rogerclark10  the procedure looks straightforward but you will need to download the updated firmware first somehow (although you've obviously got access to an internet connection somewhere as you're posting here!)

I would guess that the Fibre upgrade is going to take at least 5 working days

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

I assumed that you would go back to fibre, I was just thinking about the interim period whilst you wait for Openreach to get around to it.

Apart from that if you do unlock your HG612 it does allow you to monitor your broadband connection in great detail.

I read on the A&A forum that an unlocked unit will work on ADSL but if you do go for it and follow that guide remember that Plusnet ADSL uses PPPoA not PPPoE

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Cheers for getting back to us @rogerclark10 

@rogerclark10 wrote:
Thankyou@Gandalf So@MisterWwas on the nail.

No problem and yup he was. 

I will apply to be upgraded and thanks for the compensation offer but if it gets fixed quickly I'll be happy 😊

Sounds good, I can see you arranged this and we've submitted the fibre order to Openreach. It should hopefully complete a week today but may be delayed depending on how fast we can get someone out there to carry out the work.

Let me know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
rogerclark10
Dabbler

Not sure why there would be any work to do at my house or the local connection cabinet @Gandalf ? I was already happily on fttc until last friday and obviously have the connection box installed and a fibre compatible modem (hg612)
rogerclark10
Dabbler

Thanks for that @Baldrick1 July 29th is my connection date Sad so I might well be trying it
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

Hi @rogerclark10 When a fibre service is downgraded to standard broadband, engineering work is carried out at the cabinet likely to remove the FTTC jumpers and connect your line to the broadband equipment at the exchange, so we'll unfortunately need another engineer to go out to effectively reverse this change we've made.

Things have changed since you went onto fibre initially in that we don't need to arrange an engineer visit anymore for the installation. Nowadays fibre orders are what's called PCP/cabinet only.

Apologies again for the inconvenience we've caused.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
rogerclark10
Dabbler

Thanks for the explanation @Gandalf and for the apology. I'll just wait for it to happen now!
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem @rogerclark10 

Unfortunately it looks like it's not going to be as straightforward as I'd hoped.

The fibre order we've placed is showing as cancelled in the BT systems due to a duplicate order. Discussing this with our suppliers, it looks like the downgrade order is still open somewhere on the back-end Openreach systems, which is preventing a new order from progressing as there can only be one order open at any one time.

They've discussed this with Openreach and are arranging to manually close the order, which should happen within the next 24 hours. Once that's been done, I'll replace the fibre order manually and I'll request it's fast tracked/expedited.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
rogerclark10
Dabbler

Thanks @Gandalf You're a star. I recommend a pay rise!
@Baldrick1 my son unlocked the hg612 and managed to connect via adsl but it is painfully slow.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

@rogerclark10  good news that you're connected againSmiley. Bad news that it's so slowSad

Hopefully Gandalf will be able to pull that date forward a bit with the expedite

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@rogerclark10 wrote:
Thanks @Gandalf You're a star. 

Cheers for the kind words Smiley

I recommend a pay rise!

I'll pass the suggestion along to my manager, fingers crossed! After all if you don't ask you don't get. Sometimes.

@Baldrick1 my son unlocked the hg612 and managed to connect via adsl but it is painfully slow.

I'm glad to see you back online even though it is extremely slow at the moment.

@MisterW wrote:

Hopefully Gandalf will be able to pull that date forward a bit with the expedite

Hopefully. We've got to successfully place the order first, which I'd expect I'd be able to do tomorrow.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

As an update to this thread, the fibre order was successfully placed and committed to a completion date of the 5th. I've got in touch with Openreach and they've submitted an expedite request in the system to try to move this forward to the 26th.

Hopefully it all goes well on Friday! I'm out of the office then so I'll check back on Monday.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
rogerclark10
Dabbler

Thanks @Gandalf / Anoush, and for the updates in my account area . I sympathise if you are having to deal with BT. My experiences with them have been uniformly painful. I'll update on the 26th!
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem Roger, fingers crossed the expedite request goes through OK. 

Occasionally they can get stuck in the system and not change the committed date on the order,

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet