Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unrequested upload speed change and now no internet connection

FIXED
rogerclark10
Dabbler

unrequested upload speed change and now no internet connection

Had emails from plusnet saying they were making changes to my upload speed that i had asked for. I didn't ask for any changes. Last email said thay had applied the change and now my router can't connect. Any one had this? My modem is an HG612 and indicates a dsl connection has been made but my Tplink archer c9 cannot connect.
39 REPLIES 39
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Re: unrequested upload speed change and now no internet connection

I've got an Tp Link Archer C9 (coupled to a Vigor 130 modem) and the only time I've ever had any problems connecting was when I changed my password for Plusnet. And that came about a month after I'd changed it. I had to disconnect the supply to both of them. Took a while to work out what was going on. 

Have you powered both off and back on after waiting X number of minutes?

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
rogerclark10
Dabbler

thanks idonno I did that first. Checked all the router settings etc. As i said all was fine until the plusnet email telling me they had altered my connection. They turned off interleaving they said.
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @rogerclark10,

I'm sorry that your connection is down at the moment and for any inconvenience that this is causing you.

I have tested your line today and the results indicate a potential issue with the equipment connected to the phone line. Our tests show a loop on the line, which is basically a short circuit on the line. This could be a faulty piece of equipment or something breaking the loop such as something going through the line.

To rule out your equipment as the cause, we would like to see if the fault is still present with your equipment disconnected from the line.

Please contact us when all the phone sockets in the property are unplugged and if possible please remove the faceplate of the master socket which will disconnect the internal wiring. We can then retest your line and proceed with our investigation.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

As i said all was fine until the plusnet email telling me they had altered my connection. They turned off interleaving they said.

@EmilyD  that sounds a bit strange!. Changes to a Fibre connection wouldn't normally get notified to the customer would they ? Surely the DLM just does it's own thing behind the scenes.

Wouldn't notifications about removal of interleaving only be expected for an ADSL line ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rogerclark10
Dabbler

thanks @EmilyD . Everything is disconnected and the faceplate removed.
rogerclark10
Dabbler

@MisterW I am mystified! Two things were mentioned in emails ( claiming to be acting on a request which I did not in fact make) 1. a new uncapped upload speed 2. potential problems caused by turning off interleaving which plusnet had asked the supplier to do.
I'm on FTTC
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@rogerclark10 

1. a new uncapped upload speed 2. potential problems caused by turning off interleaving which plusnet had asked the supplier to do.

That really does sound like changes to an ADSL connection rather than FTTC.

Is your HG612 unlocked ? Can you look at the DSL stats ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rogerclark10
Dabbler

it isn't unlocked but you may be onto something. When I go into my account and go to the upgrade section it thinks I have a 1-3 mbit connection. I've been FTTC since it became available!
(And to rub salt into the wound it offers to upgrade me to fibre for less than I pay now)
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

I wonder if you have been mistakenly been put back onto ADSL? It might be interesting to set it up your modem for ADSL and see if it connects.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Baldrick1  my thoughts exactly! but my prod to @EmilyD  earlier seemed to have fallen on stony ground

It might be interesting to set it up your modem for ADSL and see if it connects.

Im not sure that's possible unless the HG612 is unlocked . https://support.aa.net.uk/Router_-_EchoLife_HG612

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi @rogerclark10 

I've done some digging into this, at least from what I can see and I'm sorry to see we've downgraded your service to standard broadband. Looks like that email you've received about interleaving was triggered upon completion of the downgrade.

Line tests aren't showing a loop/short circuit fault anymore so I'd imagine it was either a blip which was cleared with the act of unplugging things, or it was caused by your equipment setup for fibre when you're not receiving it at the moment.

As you've seen online via your account it says you're on a standard broadband connection, because it doesn't look like your account type was ever changed to fibre when you upgraded.

To resolve this we'd need to get your service upgraded to fibre and the best way to do that in my opinion is via the product change tool yourself as the online offers are generally the best. Alternatively feel free to send me a PM with a contact number and when you'll be free and I'd be happy to arrange for someone to call you back to arrange the re-upgrade.

Once you're up and running again I'd be happy to offer a gesture of goodwill for the hassle we've caused.

Hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
rogerclark10
Dabbler

I might have a go at unlocking but @EmilyD instructed me to disconnect all equipment while they check it. Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@MisterW wrote:

@Baldrick1  my thoughts exactly! but my prod to @EmilyD  earlier seemed to have fallen on stony ground

It might be interesting to set it up your modem for ADSL and see if it connects.

Im not sure that's possible unless the HG612 is unlocked . https://support.aa.net.uk/Router_-_EchoLife_HG612

It just goes to show that you should not throw out old kit that still works (I have a Hub Zero in my junk cupboard somewhere). You never know when it could come in handy.

@rogerclark10 

You have my sympathy, I can imagine how you feel about this situation! The important thing in my mind is not to shoot the messenger.

I think that the testing phase is over. Unlocking an HG612 is not hard. I assume that you have seen this  https://kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612unlock.htm I used it with no problems some time ago.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

rogerclark10
Dabbler

Thankyou @Gandalf So @MisterW was on the nail. I will apply to be upgraded and thanks for the compensation offer but if it gets fixed quickly I'll be happy 😊