cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unhappy

abrooks1

unhappy

plusnet have told me that it is my responcabbilty to replace the filter that is intigrated in to the openreach socket  

can someone confirm when openreach implimented this as all the engineers that have visited my home

have said the whole socket is their responsabilty ???????

thanks for any advise on this 

10 REPLIES 10
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: unhappy

Responsibility

You only have responsibility for any filters fitted downstream of the BT Master Socket, or plugged into the socket.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=openreach+master+sockets&FORM=HDRSC2

Latest versions have 2 sockets with integrated filter, 1 for phone & 1 for ADSL (unfiltered) .

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

This is the kind of thing that you can never find any definitive and authoritative statement about. I thought that Openreach's responsibility is up to the test socket, and the filtered faceplate is not really part of the master socket, it can be easily removed to test from the test socket. The filtered faceplate is plugged into the test socket.

abrooks1

hi gel

thank for your reply   this was something i tried to get the tech department of plusnet 

they seem to think it includes the filter unit in the socket 

i think the tech department need aa little bit more training on this

thanks once again

alan

abrooks1

hi 

if the intigrated filter was not the responcabilty of open reach why do they supply it when fitting the box 

three openreach engineers have said that the whole socket is their responsbilty 

will email openreach tomorrow to have this confirmed Huh

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

A centralised filter on the master socket gives the best chance of you getting the fastest and most reliable connection. That's why they supply one.

These days Openreach don't generally visit when setting up FTTC broadband. So you might only get a modern master socket and filtered faceplate if Openreach were visiting to fix a fault. No Openreach engineer visiting us in the past ever fitted a vaguely modern master socket, and that was when our master socket was so old it was the type that didn't even have a test socket (although that pre-dates the current master socket type, now they always replace an old socket with the NTE5C).

Kdog
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

So far as I'm aware, Openreach responsibility is to the test socket. The front plate is customer responsibility, with the possible exception of if the whole unit is recently installed (usual warranty or guarantee business). The only time Openreach would cover the whole socket is if it's one of the old sockets without a test socket as there's no way to test the front separately. The way I've always looked at it is if it's something you can test by removing with no more than a screwdriver then it'll be customer equipment.
abrooks1

the master socket is the property of bt openreach and should be maintained by them

have contact openreach  will post reply once recieved

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

The demarcation point is the test socket.

Anything inwards is your responsibility, but from and including the test socket outwards is the responsibility of our suppliers.

Arranging an engineer to replace your faceplate would ultimately likely be a chargeable appointment, however it entirely depends on how the engineer signs the job off.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@abrooks1 wrote:

plusnet have told me that it is my responcabbilty to replace the filter that is intigrated in to the openreach socket  

Have you checked whether you have a faulty filtered faceplate by removing it and plugging the microfilter that came with your router into the test socket?

If it is faulty then replacements are cheap enough, just make sure you get the correct one. They either clip on or are retained by two screws. They are not interchangeable. 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

abrooks1

hi all

have spoken to a supervisor about this issue 

am using the a filter  so for now going to leave it for now 

i have contacted BT openreach  for them to clarify this once they reply will post the results