Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

traffic management. Plusnet v BT

bazzer9
Grafter

traffic management. Plusnet v BT

I'm considering moving from BT Infinity 1 + BT TV + Anytime Phone
to Plusnet unlimited Fibre ( upto 38mb download speed ) + Anytime Phone.
I own a BT badged Youview Box which I would intend to connect to the internet via Plusnet. I won't miss the BT TV app but want to use all of the other features of what is essentially a Humax box. My wife uses the Youview box more than me and only occasionally uses the players.
BT are trying to retain me by reducing their prices but still not as low as Plusnet. Their latest claim is that BT provides a better quality product which is why it costs more. They say that Plusnet apply traffic management which lowers the speed at peak times e.g.  around 7pm, whereas BT never limit the traffic speed for Fibre broadband.
Is there any truth is this, or is BT just trying to rubbish the competition !
Would welcome the opinions of seasoned Plusnet Fibre users, especially if they have also had experience of BT Infinity 1
13 REPLIES 13
sjptd
Grafter

Re: traffic management. Plusnet v BT

Not a seasoned Plusnet user, I recently moved from Infinity 2 to Plusnet 40/20.  I haven't seen any evidence of slowdown at any time yet, and I don't believe there is any.  In certain exchanges there may be at peak times due to congestion; that seems to hit BT more than Plusnet.  Ping times for me considerably better on Plusnet: the same basic FTTC latency but BT then used absurd internal routing (Winchester->Sheffield->London) to add 9ms ping.
dynoman
Dabbler

I have been on Unlimited fibre for well over a year now and can honestly say i have never noticed any form of traffic management applied to my connection. Yes we have had the odd day or two when the whole connection goes slow but I think these have been actual network problems rather than any throttling / traffic management.
I have a house full of older children (four to be precise) who all live on line either gaming or streaming music or video as well as all the usual facebook / social media and stuff like that  via their own pc's, laptops, and smart phones.  Plus I also use online gaming and stream video via services like iplayer, now tv and you tube and have never had any problems.
So i personally think the BT salesman was spinning you a yarn to try and keep you on board.
Personally I am very happy with the standard of service I have received from plusnet and have no reason to suspect that i have been the subject of any traffic management and if I have can honestly say I have never noticed .
Just as a side note My average speeds are about 60mbps down and 18mbps up. probably not relevant but mentioned it just in case.
bazzer9
Grafter

Thanks sjptd and dynoman.
Looks like the BT retention team are taking the mickey again. Who would have believed it of such an honourable institution !  Grin
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

There's a good blog entry about the Plusnet traffic management system here:
http://community.plus.net/blog/2012/12/21/its-unlimited-why-is-it-still-traffic-managed/
It only slows down lower priority traffic if *your* line is saturated and works very well.  Smiley
Regarding BT TV, it's not just the app you'll lose but also the internet delivered channels on your Youview box.  All other features will work, including all the catch-up players.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The plusnet traffic management also applies across their network as a whole, so if there isn't enough capacity for everything to run at full speed, lower priority types of traffic end up going slower.
bazzer9
Grafter

Quote from: pwatson
Regarding BT TV, it's not just the app you'll lose but also the internet delivered channels on your Youview box.  All other features will work, including all the catch-up players.
Thank you
On my Youview box the menu under the blue Y button contains 6 items namely Search, MyView, Guide, On Demand, BT, Settings.
Presumably you are saying that  I wouldn't be able to select  the BT item which means that I'd  only lose the internet channels delivered by BT ?
Since i have a Smart Panasonic TV I could turn off the Youview box and access internet delivered channels with Plusnet via the the Smart TV apps, couldn't I ?
dick:green Quote fixed.
pwatson
Rising Star

All of the channels on this list numbered 407 and above will no longer be available as they are delivered via the Internet as part of the BT TV service.  Plusnet are trialling a TV offering but there is no release date as a product and no information has been provided regarding a proposed channel line up.
The On Demand content on the Youview box and any extra content available via your smart TV will work fine.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
Just to back up what Pwatson has mentioned our traffic management doesn't errr... quite do what you've been told Smiley More information is available about it here so you can make up your own mind:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/traffic_management.shtml
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
kankali
Grafter

Bazzer9,
I have a Humax Youview box and Panasonic smart TV - both work fine on PlusNet fibre - I haven't had any issues other than having to upgrade the router for a better wireless reception.
If you have a HomeHub 5 that will continue to work on Plusnet just remember to enter your new user name and password.
All the generic OnDemand Youview apps will continue to work i.e. Iplayer, ITV Player, 4OD, C5 etc.
Regards, David
slavo71
Rising Star

I was worried about moving to Plusnet from BT Infinity as I play BF4 online via the PC. However, pings with BT were 26ms which were good, but with Plusnet I'm now down to an amazing 13ms Cheesy Download speeds are also up by about 10Mbps Shocked Work that one out when I'm still on the same line!!!
I've not experienced any lost connections or any problems what so ever since my line was sorted out after a bad start on day 1...but that wasn't down to Plusnet, the person who changed the wires over in the box hadn't inserted them correctly!
The other massive advantage with Plusnet is that their Tech support team do indeed know what they are talking about unlike the BT ones!!! All UK based, free to call, quick to answer and you can understand them...which always helps lol.
I can't see myself moving anytime soon.
bazzer9
Grafter

Thanks guys for all your comments.
So much more helpful than the equivalent community forum on BT Cheesy
KevinG
Rising Star

Quote from: bazzer9
Their latest claim is that BT provides a better quality product which is why it costs more. They say that Plusnet apply traffic management which lowers the speed at peak times e.g.  around 7pm, whereas BT never limit the traffic speed for Fibre broadband.

Incredible that BT keep spouting this nonsense. It would almost be excusable if they weren't dissing a sister company!
Cecemf

Never had an issue with traffic management either, I had with Virgin Media in the past but never PlusNet