cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

totally useless 80 meg fibre speeds

kjcis
Dabbler

totally useless 80 meg fibre speeds

let me start with a disclaimer, I am ex 3rd line senior systems administrator and i made up the rubbish you give your junior and CS staff that is on your lists of how to fix a problem and how to faff off a customer until they get bored and accept what you the fluffy IT admins tells the customer and that is not going to happen to me.

I moved over to plusnet on the 30th, since them i have hit 41 meg for a full day. I am less than 100 mtrs from the cabinet and 1.1 km from the exchange. 

can you turn off the stupid line tester from BT and take a look at my connection and fix it before i start cancelling your service on monday morning. 

if you cannot supply 80 meg do not sell it your looking like numpties.
if the customer cannot be supplied 80 meg let them pay the 40 meg price instead of keeping silent about problems and keeping the money for something you cannot supply.
offer me the chance to have a new line installed from the pole to the socket just for my dsl and fttp.

my stats are at https://www.kjay.co.uk if you fancy a look but lets say one thing, yorkshire makes Tea but ffs they are backwards at internet provision.

43 REPLIES 43
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: totally useless 80 meg fibre speeds

fwiw, I think the issue appears to be line related from the stats you have provided, or there is an issue with your internal wiring or modem.  The Line attenuation looks too high for a cabinet only 100m away. Are you sure you are connected to the FTTC cabinet only 100m away ?

9. Line attenuation: 26.2 / 24.3

I'm about 400m from my cab, and my downstream attenuation is only 19 dB.  I can just about get 56mbps/18mps.

I think you can find the FTTC cabinet number from:

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

I've noticed Openreach started printing the cabinet number on the green phone cabinets around here.

The dslchecker info you have provided on your web page, indicates you will never see full 78mbps/19mbps speeds on the 'upto' 80/20 service provided by Openreach.

pn1.jpg

Have you tried connecting the modem into the Engineer's Test socket to see if there is any improvement?

https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Take extreme care when removing the lower face plate, if you have telephone extensions.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
kjcis
Dabbler

seems like i need a cabinet change, i wrongly assumed i was on the cabinet p39 seems that i am on cabinet p40 

can i get this swapped ?

the box closest is cabinet P39  furthest away cabinet P40

i always use the test socket as standard as i do not want a home telephone my mobile is cheaper. 

cabinet-loc.PNG

kjcis
Dabbler

thanks for the reply it helped find where i think the problem is, i will hold off and hope someone from support can get involved. will be changing internal wiring when external cabinet can be changed.

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Sadly, I don't believe it is possible to change cabinets.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
kjcis
Dabbler

in queue to cancel then easy fix

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@kjcis wrote:

let me start with a disclaimer, I am ex 3rd line senior systems administrator and i made up the rubbish you give your junior and CS staff that is on your lists of how to fix a problem and how to faff off a customer until they get bored and accept what you the fluffy IT admins tells the customer and that is not going to happen to me.

rofl.jpg

MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

@kjcis wrote:

[...] will be changing internal wiring when external cabinet can be changed.

Changing the internal wiring unfortunately won't help as you are plugged in to the test socket and so your internal wiring (at least that which you are allowed to change) will not be connected.

As bill888 touches on, this could be an issue of not ever being able to reach your expectations. The dslchecker figures indicate you will never get anywhere near the full 80/20 and what with crosstalk on the increase it is entirely likely that you will remain within the impacted speed ranges if there is no 'fault' per se.

Bear in mind also that what might be your nearest cabinet as the crow flies the wiring may well take a different route thus making the term 'nearest' somewhat ambiguous.

kjcis
Dabbler

well internal wiring has small plastic boxes one at window where the line comes into the house, then another 3 ft extender box with jelly connectors just to a line to line connect, 
the next box is on the landing just a cable joiner with jelly connectors.
there is another straight through connector into front room down stairs with jelly connectors inside.
then the box gets to the phone socket with the bt master socket box.

taking out all this surplus connections should be fine, so i will rewire from first box inside house and change it to external wiring that comes into house next to computer equipment and split the dsl and ringer cables (i think) 

i am updating the website with more ramblings/details as i work on the problem.

MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

That sounds like a truly awful setup you've got there. Do you know the history, or is it quite old?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Thank you for taking the time to get in touch with us via our community forums and I am very sorry to hear that you're experiencing speed issues.

From the information you supplied in your link, your sync speed is currently within your estimates so we wouldn't be able to raise a fault to our suppliers I'm afraid. The upper tier fibre package we provide is an up to 76 Mbps product. It does depend on your line estimates.

However, it appears that your connection profile on our side has dropped to 21 Mb so a bit of good news is that I should be able to get that increased for you.

If you don't manage to get through over the phone today, I'll be happy to look into your issue tomorrow for you if you private message me with your username.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
andytay
Rising Star

How do i find out where my cabinet is?

kjcis
Dabbler

cabinet is displayed at top of the page on the dsl checker website https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ ie Telephone Number xxxxxxxxxxxx on Exchange BLACKPOOL is served by Cabinet 40

then you can use this guide http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/cabinet-lookup.htm

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Once you find out your cabinet number by searching your home phone number at www.dslchecker.bt.com I believe it's just a matter of going round the green cabinets in your vicinity to find your one.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Gregg
Grafter

I also work in IT as a system administrator and have been given the run around. They try fix it by doing line tests and other things but eventually it stops working again and disconnects and then reconnects at a low speed. They blame my network but I use a setup that I used before I moved house and it was working fine there. I had 80/20 for about 1 month after the open reach engineer came and then it was back to normal disconnects and slow speeds. They must have an issue in their network. I would hate to have to go back to BT but if they are the only ones that can supply stable connections then I might have to do it. I can't see how it can be so difficult to supply a stable connection these days.