cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tech newb needing advice about routers

shafiul

tech newb needing advice about routers

hi ive got plusnet fibre broadband and the standard router that came with it, as you'll know the wireless signal is rubbish and would like to get a new router preferably dual band
my question is does the new router just connect to the ethernet cable thats attached to the openreach modem box or do
i get a router to which the modem cable attaches to? does openreach box stay or go?
looking for a cheap easy to set up dual band router for under £50 if poosible
thanks
5 REPLIES 5
WWWombat
Grafter

Re: tech newb needing advice about routers

Take a look at this nearby thread...
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,133581.0.html
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
shafiul

so do i get a router that connects the modem cable directly into the router? im just confused on that aspect
WWWombat
Grafter

You can choose to get a combined router/modem, that plugs directly into the wall socket, or you can choose to get a router that still requires the separate Openreach modem to be in place. The choice is yours.
However, the combined router/modems are a bit thin on the ground right now (at least for purchase by consumers), so little is known about them, and they aren't necessarily 100% approved to work on the network. They can also be more expensive, as they don't have high sales volumes yet.
Bear in mind too that, if a fault occurs, you are likely to need to fall back to the Openreach modem anyway.
I'm currently sticking with a 2 box solution, using a TP-Link WDR3600 as the router because of it's dual-band design.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I've been using a combined one for over a year now, first a TG-589 now a BT HH5 & a TP-link TD-W9980
I have an issue with the beta f/w for the TP-link so I am using the HH5 at the mo.
The only time I had to go back to the BT modem was when I had a fault, BT expect to see it on the line.
Only just got the HH5 (2nd hand) but it seems fine for general use, not very customisable and doesn't support wan ping (for the Broadband monitor graphs)
shafiul

thanks guys for the advice