Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

speed test difference question

g4jnw
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

speed test difference question

I am really happy now with plusnet as its settled down to a decent connection.
From a practical point of view I can now do all i need, ham radio type VOIP, watch internet TV, watch shared plex media server channels etc etc.
One thing that confuses me is different speed tests.
eg: just done http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ ; and get 56.59 DL 15.90 UL and ping latency 20.13
Then done a http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/speedtester/ and get 64.97 DL 18.98 UL ping latency 15ms Jitter 5ms
I constantly see huge differences like this and wonder why.
Theses are done with the laptop plugged into the router
4 REPLIES 4
dannyboy75
Rising Star

Re: speed test difference question

Ultimately the result from a speed test is governed not just by your connection, but by the server you are using to test. So you will get different results from different servers (and sometimes even from the same server), as the load each server is under varies, depending how many other people are using it at any given moment.
As an extreme example, even if you had a Gigabit connection, if the speedtest server you're using is already under load and can only serve you at 40 Megabits, then your test result will only be 40Mbps.
I generally use speedtest.net, but run the test several times using several different servers, to get a better idea of my actual speed.
One other thing to bear in mind, I usually make sure that no other computers, tablets etc. are running at the time, as these days they all download stuff in the background which could affect your results. The other night I tested from my phone and was only getting 25Mbps. Shut down my Windows 10 PC, ran the test again and got 38Mbps. The PC was idle, but must've been downloading updates in the background (or maybe sending all my personal data to Microsoft).
g4jnw
Rising Star

Thanks for that.
Have also looked at the hub one connection under DSL line status and it gives possibly a more realistic number?
Downstream = 70.59 mbps
Upstream= 19.53 mbps
you can find that under advanced settings and connection
Which is i suppose more realistic for an 80/20 account?
dick:quote
dannyboy75
Rising Star

Those figures are your sync speed, in other words the maximum you'll get. But it doesn't necessarily follow that you'll get those speeds in the real world unfortunately.  All being well you shouldn't be too far away from those though.
Andrue
Pro

Running a speed test is a lot like timing a road journey. There can be several different routes and traffic levels vary throughout the day. It's also worth noting that knowing how long it typically takes you to drive to Edinburgh (your machine to the speed test server) may not be very useful if you're actually intending to drive to Exeter (the server that holds the data you actually want) Wink