Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

speed gone down again

FIXED
Menace65
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

speed gone down again

A few months ago, I had an open reach person come round because my internet speed went down to 30 mbps.

he did something and my speed went back to normal ^^ 42 mbps [half of what I use to get before I moved]

Now the max speed I'm getting I've tried various broadband speed checkers over the last few days, and they report 26 - 28 mbps down and 9 mbps up

Can you check to see if there is something wrong.

Have a nice day

5 REPLIES 5
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: speed gone down again

Fix

Thanks for your post @Menace65

I'm sorry to see you're having speed issues again.

I've tested your line today and the tests are showing your speed's artificially restricted by automated software at the cabinet (the green box in the road) but I can't see any causes for this, so I've arranged for your line to be reset. 

You should hopefully see a higher speed within the next 3 working days. Let me know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Menace65
Aspiring Pro

@Gandalf 

OK thanks, automated software ?? I do download a lot, esp games on steam, games have got so big these days.

Have a great weekend

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

There’s some info here > https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/FTTC-DLM-What-it-is-How-it-works/ba-p/1322799 on how the automated dynamic line management software works. The article is a little outdated though when it suggests we can’t arrange a line to be reset because we now can, if a speed is artificially restricted by what’s known as ‘banding’

Fingers crossed over the next few days your speeds pick up and are back to normal. 

Have a good weekend as well. 

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Menace65
Aspiring Pro

I am back to normal! around 40 mbps

I read the link that @Anoush  posted, seems I was throttled, due to the amount of data I download. I thought I had 'Unlimited data download'

BT wholesale suggests I should be getting 47mbps [not speed test, but the analyzed test]

I'll need to downgrade to just Fibre, if I renew my contract, no need to pay extra for fibre extra if I can't get the speed [not plusnets fault]

I do wonder if I didn't keep my phone number, if I would have got a nearer exchange [if one exsists] I'm 1889 metres away from the exchange.

something is better than niothing.

enjoy the rest of your week.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Thanks for the update @Menace65 

I’m glad to see your speed has improved now.

The speed restriction wasn’t applied due to how much you download. This normally happens if there’s an issue on the line, but as testing wasn’t finding a problem, I arranged for your line to be reset to remove the restriction.

Changing your phone number that the exchange provides you won’t affect your speeds in any way, as that wouldn’t change the route your line takes, plus it’s length of the copper line between the cabinet (the green box) and your property that’s important on fibre, because between the cabinet and the exchange is fibre cabling. 

I’m not in the office check but if you type your landline number into the availability checker here https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL what’s the estimated speed range of your line? You’ll be looking for the VDSL ‘Clean’ range. 

Have a good week too!

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button