Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

speed dropped

bazinga_81
Grafter
Fixes: 1

speed dropped

hi,

fibre went live 14 days ago and speed was about 76mb down i added the tv package and connected the box and speed has dropped to about 68mb 69mb on wired pc now is it normal for the tv to reduce the speed even when internet channels are not being watched?

11 REPLIES 11
bazinga_81
Grafter

Re: speed dropped

Seems pointless posting on here anymore so I'll ask my question on twitter hopefully not be ignored there
mage
Dabbler

Might it be background updates, perhaps even on several devices?

We were in a capped package a while back where we realised just how much devices can eat up. When my wife's iPad Air was away from the charger we were okay - but connect it to mains and it'd decide to start updating itself and its apps and before you knew it (well, after a couple of hours!) 2GB of your 25GB monthly allowance would be gone. Despite being on fibre we'd notice the sluggishness of the connections while all this was going on, so it was really eating up the bandwidth quite noticeably. We ended up stopping background updates on the iPad.

Now, despite being on an "unlimited" package with PN, we'll leave the updates off because apparently "unlimited" doesn't mean freedom of bandwidth.

bazinga_81
Grafter

No only me here and 1 phone connected to wifi and wired pc when its on speed has definitely got slower since connected the youview box
bazinga_81
Grafter

Twitter staff where as useful as chocolate fireguard and basically told me 68mb is a very good speed be happy guess all the posts about how [-Censored-] the staff are at plusnet are true

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Avoidance of swear filter edited as per Forum rules.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Has the synch speed on the router changed?

mage
Dabbler

Wow, that Youview box has got to be very busy then, I guess. You probably already know this, but I'll say it anyway - the usual reason a line speed decays is down to transmission failure rates (or whatever the techies might call them). I would guess that most ISPs look at the signal path and its length and put values in that should get you optimal speed, and then the automation looks at the error rates and drops the speed until the errors go away (or at least go to some low threshold). Noisy lines would create transmission errors, and switching off or otherwise disconnecting the modem would also look like a terrible failure rate to an automated fault monitoring process. The problem for ISPs is probably that their equipment is lumbered with the task of retransmitting failed data packets and to minimise retransmissions it would be in their interests to get that overhead down to a minimum, bearing in mind that this is being done for everybody on any given exchange. Not that this makes our experience of slow line speeds any easier to live with.

68MBPS is very good if you live where I am, though, but if you have got used to a lot more I can quite understand being a bit, er, brassed off by that. Having artificially imposed limits is quite another matter (which is what I appear to be stuck with!).

In the past I've had intermittent line problems when some BTOR drone visits a local cabinet and moves some wires around between the various complainants and, for good measure, puts some back in place using chewing gum. They come around and shuffle some more and someone else can complain for a while. When that happens it certainly illustrates what a difference a noisy line can make.

Then again BT are still putting up poles and wires around the countryside because although it is century-plus technology it is dirt cheap, so I'm somewhat cynical, I guess.

Your modem settings shouldn't have changed unless you changed them (perhaps looking for better speeds?) but, as @Browni suggests, that is a possibility especially if Youview requires a change. Then again I've had an ISP do a push update on a supplied modem in the past that completely messed up the device beyond fixing, leaving me to buy my own.

bazinga_81
Grafter

My line speed is the full 80mb and i disconnected the youview box and did speedtest on pc using btwholesale tester and it went back up to 76.8mb plugged youview back in and no players no updates no internet channels on no recording and speed drops to 68mb so it's definitely the box once connected to router it drops the speed if there's a reason for it I'm fine with it but just wanted a reason to why box slows you down when it's not doing anything like streaming channels/players or updating but whoever replied on twitter was more interested in just saying 68mb is a good speed and thats it
mage
Dabbler

Sheesh! That's one helluva overhead! Is the box injecting noise into the network, or actually doing something? Sounds like noise to me, especially if the loss of bandwidth is fairly constant. What this conversation now needs is someone prepared to experiment with their own Youview setup, which isn't me since I don't have one! If it's not an isolated issue then perhaps Youview is doing something that sucks up bandwidth and which users can hopefully switch off! Good luck with experiments, though; it's no fun diagnosing something we have limited control over.

bazinga_81
Grafter

I changed the box to an older one i had and that was fine no difference in speed so decided to system reset the new box and update it again and so far it's ok speed is staying in the 76-78mb range dont know what was up with it but fingers xd this reset has fixed it
mage
Dabbler

Good news that giving the Youview equipment a kick sorted it out.

bazinga_81
Grafter

tried it few times today and always about 75/76mb  so the box first set up seems the issue.

thanks to those who took the time to reply much appreciated @mage @Browni