cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

speed drop and latency inceases

Justin7
Grafter

speed drop and latency inceases

After a good year or so with a stable 72Mb down and 19mb up with a 12ms ping my connection appears to have deteriorated. About a week ago my connection dropped to 60mb down and 15mb up but more importantly the ping has jumped to 33ms .
I have restarted the equipment a couple of times but no difference so leaving alone now.  checking over lan connection.  After a week i thought things would recover but this hasn't happened and now my bt profile and Plusnet profile speed has shown as about 62mb.
Does this imply that my speeds will be stuck like this now?

Is there anyway I can get things improved - latency being more important than the speed really?
9 REPLIES 9
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: speed drop and latency inceases

Hi there,
Does this imply that my speeds will be stuck like this now?

Hopefully not, but that does depend on what may be causing this. That may be a reality if there's been a quick increase in the uptake of fibre services in your area.
latency being more important than the speed really?

How have you recorded the latency exactly? Were you pinging anything specific?
Also let us know if the speed tests were done when connected using a wired or wireless connection. We'd definitely advise doing the former if you haven't done so yet.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Justin7
Grafter

Hi
Thanks for your response.
I'm hopeful too that maybe these decreases are temporary!
In regards to latency I have pinged bbc and Google and used ping test after seeing a higher ping in games. I connected via ethernet  and got speed of between 30 and 42, which is considerably higher than usual!!
Justin7
Grafter

Hey Adam, 
Any thoughts?
Justin7
Grafter

Well I raised a fault, went through all the effort of tap3 tests etc then my help desk ticket couldn't progress, saying something like it had all the information needed yet I hadn't entered anything! 
I tried the speak to us link on the support site went through it all again and the operative told me I had to ring in. I got held a queue for twenty minutes and gave up. 
Plusnet can you make this a bit easier  as I thought support was supposed to be a better experience than this?!
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Unfortunately it seems that the broadband faults checker isn't working on your account at the moment. Can you respond to the open support ticket to let us know the tests you've been able to do?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Justin7
Grafter

Thanks for the advice.
I have updated the case as suggested.
Justin7
Grafter

I have done what you advised but now support have said to use the faults checker again.
If they can't help fair enough, but enough of these rhetorical and time consuming steps!
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Leave the ticket as it is, the latest update you've put on there should explain the situation. I'll check back on it later today.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Justin7
Grafter

Thanks Chris.  I appreciate your help.  Smiley