cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

so..today my fibre got incorrectly ceased due to human error.

benfphillips
Grafter

so..today my fibre got incorrectly ceased due to human error.

To add insult to injury an already slow line (below MGALS) gets ceased incorrectly today with my only option to wait for a re-provide. The background to this story is that I was due to be moving property so I called PN, paid the cancellation fees and agreed the date. The home move fell through, I called plus.net who refunded the cancellation charges and cancelled the cease of services (the date of this call was Sept 27th, two weeks and two days before the cease this morning.)

To say I'm angry and disappointed is the politest possible way of expressing my feelings. Unfortunately I had to have spinal surgery last year and as a result I can rarely leave the house due to on-going medical issues.. to some of you it might seem trivial, "just go outside you might say" unfortunately it just doesn't work like that.

I now face the prospect of several weeks without any form of internet connection because someone forgot to cancel the orders on BTOR's system.

13 REPLIES 13
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: so..today my fibre got incorrectly ceased due to human error.

Hi Ben,

I'm sorry to hear what's happened. From reviewing your account I can see we've reactivated your services and your connection is back up and running less than 24 hours later:

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
benfphillips
Grafter

Hello @Gandalf

Thanks for the reply!

I'm actually amazed that it came back on so quickly, I thought it would have to be done as a new provide. I'm guessing everything was still in situ and you just had to reactivate my account on your end? Either way, extremely lucky to get it back so soon!

I want to thank [CSA Removed] and [CSA Removed] for their work and understanding. They were both super helpful and monitored the line to get it back to life ASAP. For that I am thankful, do you have some kind of system where I can provide positive feedback for them, I know when I used to work for BT it was nice to get positive feedback and it sometimes came with a small reward. I think it's a nice gesture, especially when you're having to deal with negative calls all day and also people don't tend to post good experiences online, just the negative in most cases.

I do have one further request if at all possible, I've had issues with my line being below the MGALS, in part this was due to my housemate (who has left) kept restarting the router because he had problems with a specific game and blamed plus.net for it. This destroyed the speed and actually took it as low as about 14mbit in one case. Would it be possible for you to please reset the plus.net ip profile and also raise (if you can) with Openreach to get the line profile reset as it was set to somewhere around 15mbit due to my ex housemate restarting the router over and over :-/.

Ben

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): CSA names removed (but staff can still see them) as per Forum rules.

Oops, haven't read the rules recently, didn't think mentioning someone's first name would be a big issue, especially seeing as @Gandalf has his full name in his signature? 😕

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm actually amazed that it came back on so quickly

Me too Smiley

I thought it would have to be done as a new provide.

As we'd placed the order to restart the line not long after it was ceased, it restarted within 30 minutes about lunchtime and when we placed your fibre order the connection came back online as soon as it was re-built in the supplier systems.

It's likely the jumpers were still in place at the cabinet/exchange.

I'm guessing everything was still in situ and you just had to reactivate my account on your end?

Your account on our side wasn't actually cancelled. So as soon as the order with BT progressed was committed in their applications, there wasn't anything on our side that could've stopped the connection coming through.

I want to thank [CSA Removed] and [CSA Removed] for their work and understanding. They were both super helpful and monitored the line to get it back to life ASAP. For that I am thankful, do you have some kind of system where I can provide positive feedback for them, I know when I used to work for BT it was nice to get positive feedback and it sometimes came with a small reward. I think it's a nice gesture, especially when you're having to deal with negative calls all day and also people don't tend to post good experiences online, just the negative in most cases.

Thanks for your kind words. I believe you'd receive an email and/or text message asking for your feedback with regards to your experience over the telephone. It'd come from a company called Rant&Rave with whom we work with.

However, I'll make sure your feedback is passed on to their line managers.

I do have one further request if at all possible, I've had issues with my line being below the MGALS, in part this was due to my housemate (who has left) kept restarting the router because he had problems with a specific game and blamed plus.net for it. This destroyed the speed and actually took it as low as about 14mbit in one case. Would it be possible for you to please reset the plus.net ip profile and also raise (if you can) with Openreach to get the line profile reset as it was set to somewhere around 15mbit due to my ex housemate restarting the router over and over :-/.

As the order itself isn't yet fully complete in all our suppliers applications, I can't test your line to determine the sync rate or IP profile but I've set a reminder to myself to do that tomorrow.

At the moment, your connection profile on our side is set at 15300kbps but I wouldn't expect this to cap your speed due to the way your service is provisioned on our network, unless you've got a static IP address.

Finally, when the line was restarted, it wasn't with the same telephone number. I'm not fussed that it has changed because who actually uses landlines these days, but I would like to know the telephone number for the BT Speedtest/Further Diagnostics, however I don't seem to be able to find it on my plus.net account.

Your new telephone number is within this internal ticket.

Once again I'm glad this was resolved swiftly!

Oops, haven't read the rules recently, didn't think mentioning someone's first name would be a big issue, especially seeing as @Gandalf has his full name in his signature? 😕

I think naming agents that don't work over the forums/social media platforms is forbidden.

No worries though, the mods are friendly people. Smiley

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): CSA name removed as per Forum rules.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
benfphillips
Grafter

@Gandalf

Thanks again, I literally paid for a static IP after making that post and that seems to have put quite a dent into my DL speed :-/. I'm able to get stats from BT Wholesale if I use the BBEU ID rather than telephone number.

What impact is/will the static IP have as I've literally just reset my router to get it. It's something I wanted for a while but it prevented my ex  house mate making multiple game accounts (limited by IP) so therefore dynamic was better.

Also.. why are you working on a Sunday?!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm not 100% sure what impact a static IP address has, however I've maxed out the profile on our side now.

Once you reboot your router again, it shouldn't be capping your speed anymore.

However, the profile will automatically adjust itself to the IP profile, usually once every few days.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

@benfphillips wrote:

@Gandalf

The social media team covers these forums 7 days a week 365 days a year. Think of us when you're having your turkey Christmas Day Grin

But we all know, even if it was @Gandalf's weekend off, he'd be on here anyway Funny

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
benfphillips
Grafter

ha, I will do!

Cut him open and he'd bleed plus.net eh Wink

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm one of the lucky ones. Cheesy

It's my turn to keep a watchful eye over the broadband gods.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

@Gandalf  so you are Baby sitting the forum Smiley

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Absolutely, more so than when Sauron watches over Mordor.

Image result for eye of sauron gif

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

In follow up to this:

Your router's in sync at almost 19mbps:

Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 18.9 Mbps
Upstream Speed 2.0 Mbps

And DLM has set your service on the correct banding:

Profile Name 0.128M-40M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-2M Upstream, Error Protection Off

Everything's looking good from this side. How's your speed over there?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
benfphillips
Grafter

@Gandalf

Thanks for the message, things look much more normal here now, as you say the router is sat at 18.87Mbit down.

Below is the original email I had when the service started back in Feb this year.<br>

When you signed up for Plusnet Broadband, we gave you an estimated line speed. Now that your broadband has been active for 14 days, we thought we'd let you know the speed as it stands today, by way of comparison.

Estimated line speed: 20.6Mbps to 30Mbps
Current line speed: 19.5Mbps

I think that the current speed is about as good as it gets around here. Please take the estimated speeds with a world ending meteor sized chuck of salt. Just glad that it came back so quickly which was was a surprise! Thanks again for the good work by the boys who girls that shall go (mostly) unnamed due to fear of reprimand by one of the mods Wink

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the message, things look much more normal here now, as you say the router is sat at 18.87Mbit down.

No problems, that's good to hear!

I think that the current speed is about as good as it gets around here. Please take the estimated speeds with a world ending meteor sized chuck of salt.

Aye. It looks like the estimates have since dropped to 18mbps - 25mbps which seems to be a bit more realistic.

Just glad that it came back so quickly which was was a surprise!

Me too. It's always good around here too when something like that happens!

Thanks again for the good work by the boys who girls that shall go (mostly) unnamed due to fear of reprimand by one of the mods Wink

I think Jono's passed your thanks on to the line managers of the unnamed advisers. Smiley

Positive feedback is always welcome here.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet