cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow speed after upgrade from ADSL to Fiber extra.

mathewjknott
Dabbler

slow speed after upgrade from ADSL to Fiber extra.

Hi everyone
On Friday i upgraded from ADSL to Fiber extra and the install went well with no problems other then being much slower then expected.
Prior to upgrading we was getting ADSL download speeds between 15 and 20 mbps and upload around 1 mbps.
After upgrading we was originally getting download speeds of around 15 mbps and upload around 7 - 8 mbps.
we are 0.3 miles from the local cabinet.
the attached image shows all recorded speed tests done via thinkbroadbands speed test (all tests from Friday on are using fiber)
I contacted support via the web chat on plusnets home page and was told that maintenance had been done on my account and after 4 hours it should be completed and my speed should increase.
after this the speed increased to around 40mbps download however i would still expect it to be faster considering how fast we was getting on standard ADSL (or does it not work like that?)

On the plusnet members page it says Estimated line speed: 64Mb and Current line speed: 46.6 Mb.

I have tried both connecting directly to the modem and also to the router via a cable and wifi but nothing changes the speed. I have noticed that the chart looks different with kaspersky enabled to when its disabled however the overall speed remains the same.
(Disabled)

(Enabled)

some test do come back looking different though

On http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ i get
Download speed (Mbps): 42.82
Upload Speed (Mbps): 9.80
Ping Latency (ms): 29.38
i have also attached the result from the bt test.

Its my personal feeling that the speed is set to slow on the line
8 REPLIES 8
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: slow speed after upgrade from ADSL to Fiber extra.

Hi, sadly just because someone has fast speed on ADSL it doesn't mean they will get the same on Fibre,  ADSL is down to distance you are from your local exchange.
fibre is down to how far you are from your Fibre cab in which it's not uncommon for some to have theirs further away than their exchange and such get the same or worse as they did on ADSL, another thing to take into account with fibre is the drop off for the signal is a lot quicker on Fibre therefore if you line isn't particularly great you may find you get issues that you may not have seen when on ADSL especially if the line is aluminium rather than fully copper as that part of the setup is still the same as it is on ADSL.

If the estimate is 64Mb and your only profile is only 46Mb then their could be a fault of some kind hard to say,  doing a further diagnostic test on the BTW site would help to see what the IP profile is set to but it takes a few days for that to be accessible on a new fibre install. 
one for the CRT they should be able to see if all is well on their end.
mathewjknott
Dabbler

Thanks for your reply.
I didn't realize fiber was that much different to adsl (shows what i know lol) i just thought that it was fiber to the cabinet and then same as adsl from cabinet to house making it quicker as distance is shorter etc.
the exchange is twice the distance (0.6 miles) away then the local cabinet (0.3 miles) so shouldn't be related to distance im guessing. (checked it was the correct cabinet and the number on it and whats shown via http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ are the same.)
Have attached another image with results from http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/
will wait for a reply from a CRT thanks
AndyH
Grafter

Who did the install? Someone from Openreach or Kelly's?
thesawdust
Grafter

@Terranova667 - my estimates are 60mb but only have IP Profile of 51.6 Mb Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support.
I'd suggest opening a fault, as you seem to be getting a lower speed than estimated. But it maybe crosstalk  Smiley
mathewjknott
Dabbler

it was installed by someone from openworld. he was here for about 10 min or so, not long really. spent more time away from the house then in it.
he left the modem connected with no box, info or anything (using my own router).
thanks ill get a ticket opened
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

I can see you've started the troubleshooter but haven't finished it off.
Once you've done that it'll go through to our Faults team.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
mathewjknott
Dabbler

Apologies I didn't finish it as despite selecting slow speeds as the issue it would only let me choose that there was connection dropouts either randomly or at same times.
u have finished it now and put a note saying that connection does not drop
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

It looks like this has been picked up by our faults team and you should have a text requesting appointment availability.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet