Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow ftp upload?

FIXED
rrfcpczkae
Dabbler

slow ftp upload?

Hello,

I have a question re. ftp. upload speed, I got connected about a week ago, download speeds, inc. via ftp are as expected, but I'm getting only around 1.1MiB/s, consistent (approx. 1.2Mb) from ftp upload. Does it mean that the advertised 'upload' speed (8-10 Mb) does not apply to ftp?
btw, there's practically no speed difference between wifi and cable-to-router (plusnet hub one), no speed restrictions at the receiving end either. I tried a couple of ftp upload test sites, they all show similar or lower speeds (below 1MiB/s), though the speed test sites show 8 - 9Mb, but that's not via ftp.
I can't see any other obvious restrictions, e.g. in windows firewall or ftp client, and nothing in the router settings which might 'cap' the speed. If it was some obscure setting, I wouldn't really care but ftp upload speed is quite important to me, as it helps me manage my files on the server with less... delay.
I would be grateful for any suggestions on how to solve this issue.

Regards,
n.

p.s. one obvious suggestion... no, I haven't turned it off and on again, not recently Wink

4 REPLIES 4
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: slow ftp upload?

Thanks for your post @rrfcpczkae and welcome to our Community Forums.

I'm sorry to see your FTP upload speed is slow.

I've tested your line today and the tests aren't showing any issues our side. When you're FTP'ing, can you try turning off all other devices and making sure there's nothing running in the background on the device you're using? 

Let me know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Fix

Are we confusing MB/sec ( megaBYTES/sec) with Mb/sec (megaBITS/sec) here ? A speed of 1.2MB/sec is about right for a 10Mb upload speed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Ah that's a good point, thanks @MisterW

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
rrfcpczkae
Dabbler

Thank you for your feedback, it's somewhat hilarious, because it's a fairly common error and I was (vaguely) aware of this - and yet I still fell for it. As my head was spinning from trying to work out the MBiT v. MB v. Mb, I missed the significance of B v. b, so I decided to use a couple of converters - and then I must have missed the point again (!), because in reality
1 MiB/s = 8.3886 Mb/s
likewise,
1MB/s = 8 Mb/s

Well, thank you flagging and clarification (there must be a special place in hell for people with this affliction, alongside the TB hdd club). Ultimately, i'ts no big problem, I just feel (mildly) annoyed that I mistook what I wanted to see (8-10MB/s) for what was there (8 - 10Mb). Well, life, etc Wink

Regards,

n.