Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should i upgrade to Fibre Extra?

beardyone
Hooked

should i upgrade to Fibre Extra?

Hi All,

At the moment on the standard Fibre package i am reaching download speeds of approximately 14-18 Mbps. My estimate was within that region so i am happy. But as i am so far below the 'maximum' possible speed of 38 Mbps down would it be worth me moving on to Fibre Extra?

Would i expect my speed to go from 14-18 on standard fibre (half of the maximum possible speed) to around 35 Mbps on fibre extra (half the maximum again). Is that how it would be expected to work or is it not as simple as double the maximum possible speed = double speed the user will achieve?

Thanks for any advice.

3 REPLIES 3
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: should i upgrade to Fibre Extra?

The speed of the product i.e. (80/20 or 40/2)  is just that. It bears no relationship to your actual line, it is just the maximum speed that a theoretical line can handle in a perfect world. 

Changing product does not change the physical characteristics of the line so if your line is only capable of 18Mbps, if will only get that regardless of which product Plusnet or any other ISP supplied. The speed delivered is a based on the length of the phone line from the FTTC cabinet to your property.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
beardyone
Hooked

Thank you. Serves me right for living in a Welsh valley with decades old infrastructure Wink but thank you for clearing it up for me.
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Well beauty and slow speeds or urban decay and faster speeds?Smiley

Actually that isn't really true, you can live urban and get really bad speeds too.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT