cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should be 60 - 70mbps..getting around 1.45mbps

Davidreckitt
Dabbler

should be 60 - 70mbps..getting around 1.45mbps

..and its been like this for many weeks. Nothing in troubleshoot will ever work. Plusnet is BT I understand that and therefor service will always be poor. However I am paying for superfast fibre when I'm not getting any faster than dial up.
same old same old..
What an absolute joke this company is
Please do not give me a link to troubleshooting as I will find that offensive.
The image embed above was  to show you the test result from your own speed test. However I cannot upload the image to photobucket in order to embed the photo BECAUSE THE SPEED IS SO SLOW IT WONT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!
8 REPLIES 8
elfish
Grafter

Re: should be 60 - 70mbps..getting around 1.45mbps

What is your current line speed set to:
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate
Also run the BTW speed test and then click on 'Further Diagnostics' and enter your telephone number to get the IP profile etc:
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
What modem are you using? And are you able to provide stats from it?
A member of staff will be able to undertake a line check.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I was also about to post asking for your current line speed.
An extra question from me: how do you connect to the router, wired or wireless?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Your profile is set at 65mbps and your syncing at 66mbps.
As others have mentioned are you testing over wired or wireless?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Davidreckitt
Dabbler

Well, thanks for turning up but I fear no help is going to work. It didn't last long the last time.
I clicked on that first link and I have no current speed held on my account. no idea what that means.
I do not have the facility to connect via ethernet to my router. So no test there then. Its not the router although I would be happy to try a replacement from plusnet...like thats going to happen.
My speed is predominantly very very slow but does occasionally act like its fibre.
I connect to the router wirelessly.
Okay, so I ran the test wirelessly and got 33.34 download. This is classic plusnet..sometimes 1.45...sometimes 33.34..and on my birthday 65...random. will try further diagnostics..self help eh?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

What's the point of expecting Plusnet to fix a fault if you won't give the information needed to identify what's wrong?
So far it's pointing to absolutely nothing wrong with your line and something to do with the wireless - but whether it's the router or your device we don't know.
I've got a laptop here that I've had for some time that gets absolutely garbage speeds on wireless and constantly disconnects. I've recently bought another new laptop that is absolutely fine, so in my case the Plusnet router is fine and the problems I was seeing with wireless are down to my device. Have you tested your device on someone else's WiFi (where they themselves have no wireless issues)?
Have you tried changing the wireless channel (automatic isn't always the best)?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Davidreckitt
I connect to the router wirelessly.
Okay, so I ran the test wirelessly and got 33.34 download. This is classic plusnet..sometimes 1.45...sometimes 33.34..and on my birthday 65...random. will try further diagnostics..self help eh?
No, it's because it's wireless. Yours sounds like an extreme example but it's rare (if not impossible) for wireless to run at the kind of speeds your modem is connecting at (65Mb/s according to Support).
Wireless has always been a compromise. You lose speed and reliability in exchange for portability. That has always been the case. Unfortunately these days with everyone and their dog having a wireless router the available frequencies are getting choked. Imagine being in a busy pub trying to shout your order out to a friend at the bar while you play a fruit machine in the corner. That's what your router and your device are trying to do.
If you're using a PN supplied router that might not be helping as some of them are a bit poor in the wireless area. But what you really need to do is get a wifi monitoring app[lication]. Most OSes have them by now. They will tell you who else is broadcasting in your area. I live in a detached three bed house and last I looked there were over a dozen wifi sources in range. If you live in a flat I dread to think how many there could be.
Oh and surely it isn't 'impossible' to connect your device to the router using Ethernet for the half an hour it takes to run a few speed tests?
If your device(s) support the newer 5GHz wifi standard it might be worth upgrading to a router that also does. That band is relatively quiet so you might see more speed. But I still doubt you're ever going to see 65Mb/s wireless. If performance is important you need to be looking at a wired solution. Ethernet for preference but home plugs (that use your mains wiring) may be okay as well. Anything is going to be better than wireless.
Oh..and I can't help thinking that losing the sarcasm and tackling the issue in a calm and thoughtful manner (being especially polite to support staff who are trying to help you) would be a good idea Wink
Davidreckitt
Dabbler

Thanks
Anyway I got on to the chaps on the phone. we have a little more speed and its up one level with the tech people. Apparently will get a call within next 72 hours.
Appreciate the replies - learning all the time.
I can't switch as I'm still in contract..and who's to say sky or talk talk are any better..or BT for that matter...
I would just love to know what the actual intermittent problem is.
Andrue - I am normally very self controlled...but you have to express frustration sometimes. Its embarrassing in this country...other 'advanced' countries have way more speed than we do, fibre is just standard there - here its hyped as some sort of new technology. Thanks for the info. Roll_eyes
tfn016
Dabbler

This might be a wireless channel problem, i.e. too many people locally using the same channel.
Hence interference, would explain a lot.
So you will need to manually set the router to a channel that is either not used at all or used the least.
In your area, this being the case.
I recommend downloading and running wifi info view.
It will show you any wireless router broadcasting in your area, I hope this helps. Smiley