cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

setting up hub one

shortarse
Dabbler

setting up hub one

Hi people I have been having trouble with my wifi being very slow so I contacted plusnet and they said I needed a new router but unless I signed up for a new contracted term I would have to buy a router from them for £105, so I bought a used one from a mate, (hub one) and on setup I had to reset it but although it says its connected to the internet I can't get broadband, does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong ?

I have fibre broadband.

21 REPLIES 21
SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: setting up hub one

When you connect to it what do the Home and the Helpdesk pages show?

shortarse
Dabbler

They show the hub setup and configuration pages, I can log in to it and make changes, also it shows the help pages and says that it's connected to the internet but when I open my browser I cant get anything but messages saying that I am not connected.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@shortarse You will need to manually configure the router with your username & password. Since it's a used router it will be associated with your mates account, so the automatic configuration will be getting the wrong username/password.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

shortarse
Dabbler

I did a reset on it and it now says its set for plusnet setup, the thing is I cant remember what my password is.

SteveA
Pro

it should be the same as your account portal login...

shortarse
Dabbler

Ok thank you I will give it a try then and see if I can remember that, thank you for the help I might be back.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

The username for the router is your accountname ( the one you use for the member portal ) followed by @plusdsl.net

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

shortarse
Dabbler

Thank you all very much I now have it up and running Smiley it doesn't seem to be any faster than what I had before though, fibre broadband but 0.32mbps wifi, 52 if I plug in Ethernet cable, I think it's time to move over to SKY.

SteveA
Pro

If the Wifi is slow and its the same on both routers then it would suggest its not the router.

Is it all wifi devices that are slow or just one?  

The hub 1 has dual band Wifi - the recommendation is to change the SSID on one so that you know which one you're connecting to (also some people have suggested that having the same SSID on both bands can cause problems)

Have you used anything to check for other wifi that might be clashing.

Not sure why you think moving to Sky will fix a Wifi issue

shortarse
Dabbler

It's slow on all devices, I didn't think that anything would be close enough to cause problems, what sort of things are we talking about as the nearest wifi signal only just about shows on choices for wifi and that's talk talk .

How would I change the SSID so as it's different on both bands, I changed it on one and then when I checked it had changed it on the other.

I thought about changing because when I was on Talk Talk I didn't get these problems, the only reason I changed was because they were charging for TV even though I said I didn't want it.

SteveA
Pro

Its on the Advanced Settings ..there are two tabs.. One for 2.4 GHz Wireless Configuration and one for 5 GHz Wireless Configuration

The router should try to find channels that don't over lap but I've found that it often doesn't do a good job of it. Inssider may help you find a better channel for your 2.4Ghz wireless (I seem to be the only person round here using 5GHz)

It might also be worth checking what Wireless interface type the router has set for both of the bands.

shortarse
Dabbler

This is getting a bit too technical for me now, I'm starting to go cross eyed.

Well at least with the help here I got connected, so for that I thank you !

But I will have to have a think about what to do next, I cannot understand why it is we pay for something and then spend the rest of our days trying to get it to work properly.

Thanks again for all the help

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Partly because WiFi proficient operation is very much a local environment matter, not something within the control of the ISP providing the internet connectivity service, which you report to be good.

Where is the router located?  Is it near a big piece of electrical equipment (e.g. the TV)?

This is really quite a simple problem - as suggested go find, download and run inSIDDer V3 (the last free one).  On the networks tab you'll see a display of all of the other wifi SSIDs in your locality, including yours.

Look to see if there are a lot of other stations using your channel.

Look to see if your channel has other stations partly over lapping it - that's not ideal.  The picture from inSSIDer below is my wifi spectrum...

Ideal WiFi spectrumIdeal WiFi spectrum

Note that the stations are all only using channels 1, 6 and 11 giving rise to no over-lapping channels which is deal.  Whilst you cannot control what other stations are doing, you can use this tool to see if there is a better channel for YOUR station than the one it is using automatically.

From what you have described, it matters not which ISP you might choose to change to, your local wifi spectrum might remain the issue.  YOU need to do all that YOU can do to optimise YOUR experience.  Invariably changing the wifi channel from AUTO to a specified channel makes a massive difference.

As advised above, some devices do have issues where the 2.4 and 5 GHz channels have the same SSID name - again that has nothing to do with the ISP, rather is a device vender issue.

shortarse
Dabbler

Hope this works !

This is what I get but still my wifi is slow