cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

router keeps dropping wifi

Rogypoos1969
Hooked

router keeps dropping wifi

getting wond up by router wifi keeps dropping main pc is ethernet cable connected and has no issues but everything else in house is wifi connected and keep going on and off line. i have spend a week playing with the wifi by changing the channel but still same issue had a laptop being used right under the router but only 3 bars and keeps going offline take the same laptop to friends house no issues at all so defo not my devices the router last few months is being so unreliable. spent 15mins on the phone trying to get though to them and someone just hung up the second try 35 mins on the phone and they hung up again. still in contract but sure i can use all this to break the contract and go elsewhere

10 REPLIES 10
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: router keeps dropping wifi

Sorry to hear you're having problems with your wireless signal.

Can you try the steps here letting us know how you get on?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Rogypoos1969
Hooked

Already have a different name for our 5ghz as this we done same week when 1st got hub as some of our devices will use both it was easier to see which they was on.
So still have same issue with this done none of our devices are Apple, all Android or Windows PCs
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Sorry to hear that.

It may be worth looking into a wireless booster or powerline adapters to try to improve your wireless signal as there are many environmental factors which can affect WiFi.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Rogypoos1969
Hooked

Had laptop sitting near router only 3bars but full bars if I take around a friend's get better signal from next doors router and both houses are detached with a good 6 foot between
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Have you tried using a Wi-Fi analyzer app to see if you're on the best channel?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Rogypoos1969
Hooked

Yes tried that it's on the best channel now but still same issue going to try phoning them again today and record my call if I get hang ups from them then will put them in breach of contract so will then move service
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

I understand the frustration but I'm afraid wireless performance isn't part of your contract with us due to the various things out of our control that can affect wireless performance

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Rogypoos1969
Hooked

Can't get help from plus net as after waiting a que each time they just keep cutting me off without even getting to speak to someone. Have been give a loan of a router and no issues so it seams to be the router but if I can't get to speak to someone how do I get my router changed as the loaned router needs to go back in about  2 weeks 

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Go onto Ebay and buy a new BT SmartHub 6 for around £30. You will find setting up instructios for Plusnet on the Router board. You will then have a router with better wifi performance than a Hub One, which is a BT Home Hub 5a with tweeked software.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Rogypoos1969
Hooked

Thinking of changing to an Asus router as someone local selling one for 15