cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

repeat dsl disconnects

soddit
Grafter

repeat dsl disconnects

This is something that has happened before and thought was fixed following two engineer visits, it was fairly stable for a while and the question closed

we've had new connections made at both pole and house incoming cable ends.

re ported at the cabinet and connections re checked at the master box.

I even bought a newer router just to rule that out.

when live the router DSL report shows averages of 44 down and 20 up

How do I get a report on disconnects before I raise another question/fault

23 REPLIES 23
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: repeat dsl disconnects

Hi soddit, here's a view of your disconnections over the past 30 days. 

I'm sorry I can't offer much more insight at the moment as our supplier systems are down at present for emergency maintenance, presumably that should only be for a short while though. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
soddit
Grafter

Am i right in thinking you mean its an Openreach issue

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @soddit

There is a chance that this might have been the case. 

You RADIUS graph looks much more solid now, which is very good to see : 

Your router is also syncing within our suppliers Estimated Speed Range for this line at 44.3Mbps and no fault has been found on the line. 

These DSL drops may well have been cause by an issue on your WLR3 line, however, I am unable to test for this I'm afraid as we are not your home phone provider. I would suggest getting in touch with whoever that may be and asking them to run a test on your line as well as we are not finding any issues from our side i'm afraid. 

Let us know what you find out. 

soddit
Grafter

Hi again

i spoke to the inevitable non english support guy from BT re doing line tests as suggested by Masters of reality, he was as much use as a chocolate teapot, kept trying to return me to plusnet as I'm not a BT broadband user, he eventually got the message and couldn't find anything wrong with the line

any way I did a bit of research on this  and a friend in the telecoms business told me this

If you mean disruption on the 18th and i believe 26th..... Western power distribution were replacing the sub station which powers the cabinet in Sth Rauceby

that explains the original post but we are still getting random disconnects, any suggestions

I've attached a copy of the routers dsl log

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Thanks for that info @soddit - makes a lot of sense. 

Here's a visual RADIUS of the past 7 days.

There does indeed seem to be random interference - with more in the evening than during the day. Can I ask if some of these drops in session can be attributed to you resetting / power cycling the router? 

Could you please plug your router directly into your Test Socket for me? A guide on how to locate this can be found here - This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. If the problem still persists from here we will go down the route of raising a fault.

Let us know how it goes.

soddit
Grafter

OK, I'll try that friday when I have a day off

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

No worries, keep us posted.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
soddit
Grafter

Ok I'm connected to the test socket via a micro filter

initial readings on the full set up is 19999 down and 13142 up

on test socket and micro filter 19999 down and 13378 up.

This is lower than expected as I was told i could expect at least high 20s down, tempted to upgrade to the offer that guarantees a min of 32 down but not until this is sorted
Lets see how things go

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

As your sync rate is below your estimates I'd raise a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net so we can investigate this further with our suppliers.

If you can drop us a reply over here once you've reported the fault online we'll be happy to pick it up.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
soddit
Grafter

Ok fault reported as intermittent dsl drop off and slow down speeds.

Still connected to test socket

Down speed remains at 19999

On previous recent faults, same as this one, we have had 2 engineer visits

1st one checked the pole to house connectors and replaced them, reported us at the fibre cabinet and couldn't find any down deficits

2nd tested the lines again, same outcome.

I wonder if it's something at the dslam end

soddit
Grafter

I appear to have lost connection again, been off for an hour. Router DSL light is on and not blinking but the interface says the link is down. I have had 2 episodes where it has made unsuccessful auto attempts to connect but no luck.
soddit
Grafter

Ok, tried powering the router off to rule out overheating, no improvement.
Replaced the DSL cable and microfilter with new, no improvement.
Still no DSL connection.
Eternal damnation for me, kids with no net and little or no 2g as we live in a not spot is of course all my fault. Sat in the car to post this.
Waz
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thank you for your continued patience. It is evident the connection is not working correctly and something is wrong. I have updated the fault ticket currently active on your account which can be found here. Please can you provide confirmation of the information we require.

soddit
Grafter

well the engineer came and left 5 hrs later.

after much searching at the exchange, the fibre cabinet, the local junction box (where he found shoddy connections by previous engineers to open that one) he eventually tracked the intermittent fault to the drop cable. Duly replaced and new master socket installed by my pc (very handy) he also found my router was dead (going back to be sorted as only 3 months old), luckily I had an old one tucked away and now get 45 down and 12 up on old N600 router. 
Very happy with the outcome and only time will tell if it is stable, it would be interesting to see the radius chart in a few days before I close this as fixed