cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

remote access to router.

daskinner
Grafter

remote access to router.

OK before I moved to fibre I could access my router from outside my network via the WAN IP however now I have fibre I can't connect to it. My router is the TP link W8960n and I have a BT open reach modem.
Is it the modem stopping me and if so how do I get around it?
12 REPLIES 12
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Re: remote access to router.

Is it the modem stopping me and if so how do I get around it?
No, it isn't the modem. Two things to check:-
1) did you have a static IP before the move to Fibre and is your IP still the same ? if not then are you connecting using the correct (current) IP
2) Check that the PlusNet firewall on your account is OFF ( https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=firewall ) , it shouldn't have changed but it has been known to get reset on an account change.
If both of those are OK then it MIGHT need some setting change in the router. Whereas before it was accepting remote access from(presumably) the DSL port it now needs to do it from the EWAN port.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

daskinner
Grafter

I'm trying using the cortect IP address and the firewall on my account is off.
I've not changed any settings in my router apart from creating the Ewan port so I agree this could be the problem. The settings in remote access in the router is pretty basic its either on or off. I have it on for WAN and TELNET.
Anymore ideas?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

've not changed any settings in my router apart from creating the Ewan port so I agree this could be the problem.
It shouldn't really matter whether the WAN is via the DSL or EWAN ports but it just might. Have you tried disabling and reenabling remote access to see if that makes any difference ?
Is there anything in the router log file to indicate if it's 'seeing' remote access requests , and if so why it's dropping them ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

daskinner
Grafter

ive tried to disable and enable - didnt change anything.
I've not looked at the logs. i can check them tonight.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

ive tried to disable and enable - didnt change anything.
Doesn't surprise me, just clutching at straws really Smiley
Let's see if the logs show anything...

daskinner
Grafter

any ideas what I should be looking for? the logs will be new to me.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'm not familiar with the particular router but I would guess, something along the lines of ' incoming request/connection ....' or 'remote access/management request...'

daskinner
Grafter

thank you
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

You could try a Shields UP scan, that will show if the wan port (80) and or telnet port (23) is open.
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2
Can you double check that Plusnets fire wall is disabled. If you've only recently disabled it you need to disconnect and reconnect the ppp for the setting to take affect.
daskinner
Grafter

OK so that scan said 80 was closed .
I created / opened this in NAT but then when I went back to the remote access settings it said it couldnt enable it as port 80 was in use?
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

If shields up shows port 80 to be closed and not stealth then it's likely that plusnets firewall is enabled.
daskinner
Grafter

But the PN firewall is off.