Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"waiting List" for almost a year

FIXED
Rapthorne
Rising Star

"waiting List" for almost a year

So I've been a plusnet customer now for 11 months. I like the service I have, but I'm stuck on basic broadband.

Every single day for the duration of my contract I've been checking the BT dsl tool to see if fibre is available, and every single day it's told me it's on the waiting list.

I've contacted openreach multiple times, and they have told me (after about a  month fo waiting for a reply every time) work is ongoing to expand capacity, and that seems to have been a load of guff.

Today I was lucky enough to talk to an openreach engineer who was working on the cabinet (Thanet cabinet 2), and I told him my problems with fibre availability.

No joke or exaggeration, he glanced at the cabinet, laughed and told me the cabinet is not at capacity and there's no reason fibre shouldn't be available to me. And yes, I did check by asking the engineer that the cabinet he was working on was in fact cabinet 2 that serves my phone number.

So what the heck can I do? No where that I check tells me that I can get anything above basic broadband, but the engineer who had the actual cabinet open right in front of me as I was talking to him told me that's no reason at all for me to be unable to get fibre on this cabinet

CPU: Ryzen 7 1800X @ 4GHz
GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1060 6GB
Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz
Case: Red/Black NZXT S340 Elite
12 REPLIES 12
newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: "waiting List" for almost a year

Why not just go ahead and try a fibre order with PN? If it is available you'll get it, if not you will not.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Rapthorne

It might just be a OpenReach records issue. What does the "When can I get Fibre" site say?

https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-broadband/when-can-i-get-fibre?utm_source=Openreac...

Brian

Rapthorne
Rising Star

"

Your area is enabled for Superfast Fibre but demand is high on your cabinet right now.

This means you may not be able to order fibre today but we're working to increase capacity. Please check back for an update."

But it's said that all the time. I check that and the direct dsl checker on BT almost every single day.

bmc
Hero

@Rapthorne

While it's not unknown that you can get different results it was always a long shot.

The problem could be a lack of back haul rather than space in the cabinet.

If you're lucky one of the PlusNet staff may pick this up and see if they can get anything out of OpenReach.

Brian

Warwick
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Hi @Rapthorne,

Thanks for getting in touch and I am sorry about the wait you have been experiencing for fibre to be available.

It is very difficult to comment much on what the engineer has advised you, only the information that we have available at this time. The capacity issue preventing fibre being installed shows "demand is high on your cabinet right now" and while this would be pointing at the cabinet capacity as the issue this may not be the case. This may well be due to exchange capacity also.

On all systems when investigating this it has indicated we are at a wait list position. On our supplier systems it looks to show we are able to process an order, but not able to guarantee dates beyond there. This will place you onto the wait list but unfortunately we are unable to speed this up beyond placing your physical order.

bmc
Hero

@Rapthorne

Not that it helps you but here's an article on capacity issues.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/12/h2-2018-rise-in-full-to-capacity-fttc-broadband-street...

Brian

Rapthorne
Rising Star

@Warwick

So I am able to put an order in ready for when fibre is available? How would that work?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Unfortunately if fibre isn't showing as available or is at capacity, our systems won't let us process a fibre upgrade as we won't be able to place the fibre order with our suppliers.

However, I've checked now and I can see fibre is showing as available on both the Openreach website and the BT systems. You should be good to go if you place the order either online or by calling our customer options guys on 0800 013 2632.

Feel free to drop us a reply over here when/if you do go ahead and we'll be happy to check up on this for you.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Rapthorne
Rising Star

I have successfully placed an order through product change (at last, yay!!!!!) but the pricing isn't quite what I had hoped. But at least I will have fibre soon.
Is it possible to have my new router sent to a different address to my home one, as my home address isn't very secure for deliveries
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I have successfully placed an order through product change (at last, yay!!!!!) 

Glad to hear that! Cheesy

but the pricing isn't quite what I had hoped.

It may be worth calling our customer options team instead if you'd like a better deal than what was offered online.

Is it possible to have my new router sent to a different address to my home one, as my home address isn't very secure for deliveries

Sure thing, feel free to PM me the address you'd want it sending to.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Rapthorne
Rising Star

I'm a little bit worried about my order. The plusnet order went through, but I checked again just now out of curiousity and absolutely weverywhere says waiting list again.

As my order went through, is there a guarantee I will definitely have fibre? Did the availability just go quickly due to lots of orders?

Probably me just being paranoid, but I'd hate to have my hopes up only to find out things actually weren't available and it was a blip in the system

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

I've checked this for you and your order is committed for the 12/12/2018 with no signs of a delay. It's possible that there was one free port at the cabinet and the order we placed essentially reserved it.

It's also possible that when an engineer goes out, they may find that there are no free ports to connect your line to, which would likely put the order on a waiting list (as the order is already placed and in progress) and will complete when available.

I'll check back for you on the 12th in the hope everything goes smoothly.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet