cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"FTTP available to my street but held off by a ADSL contractor"

lisapark08
Hooked

"FTTP available to my street but held off by a ADSL contractor"

BT offers "full fibre" in my street they don't mention the the word "FTTP" but for sure speed is higher than the V/ADSL's 70mbps maximum speed. BT's full fibre deal 150mbps minimum to 900mbps. 

I heard from Plusnet call service that BT is not offering to resell this FTTP deal (not clear but something along the lines of this)?

BT and Plusnet use the same Openreach installers.
The same Fibre street cabinet to ADSL exchange.

Why can you not as a reseller do the same of BT with these two same conditions?

Is raising petition or forum conversation of "FTTP available to my street but held off by a ADSL contractor" viable?

Am I missing something that makes this question not viable?

Tags (4)
16 REPLIES 16
lisapark08
Hooked

Re: "FTTP available to my street but held off by a ADSL contractor"

https://community.plus.net/t5/Everything-else/FTTP/td-p/1747232/page/2

I found out that parent company BT possibly want Plusnet to be a "cheap flavours of the parent company's product range and the parent companies (BT and Sky)".

Then BT, can I not pay more, updgrade and move on to BT's FTTP product?

If Plusnet is owned by BT group for "for 13 years" is this question still not viable?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@lisapark08  Welcome to the forum.

I don’t know what you have been told but you have got hold of the wrong end of the stick.

BT do resell FTTP, you can get it from BT Retail, Talk Talk, Zen and probably several others.

Plusnet do not currently supply this service and are under no obligation to do so. I’m afraid that if you want to join the 21st century you will simply have to move ISP.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

lisapark08
Hooked

No, I am not told like that I am just questioning why, using the same Openreach installer, the same Fibre street cabinet (exchanged to VDSL) what possible reason is they do not have FTTP?

I am not looking for a solution, but an explanation.

I don't think I ever had obligation to do so, but I think it is worth raising conversation about this weird situation of a customer of BT owned company Plusnet, to move ISP, need to pay for termination for BT's FTTP deal.

You get what I mean.

Baldrick1

@lisapark08 

It’s very simple really, whilst both are owned by BT plc they operate contract wise as two separate companies with their own billing systems and other infrastructure. Those who are watching the slow demise of Plusnet might speculate that Plusnet will at some time in the future be fully morphed into BTRetail but we’re not there yet.

Moderator and Customer

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@lisapark08  As Baldrick1 has said Plusnet do not currently offer any FTTP service so the solution, which you may think is unreasonable is to leave Plusnet, pay any termination fees and get FTTP from another supplier.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@lisapark08 What you 'found out' and posted in message #2 is the correct situation. Although PN are part of BT PLC, they are a 'separate' company under that umbrella and BT PLC have decided that that 'child' company is to be used to offer 'cheap and cheerful' - i.e. low cost - services only. FTTP is considerably more expensive.

@Baldrick1  and @RealAleMadrid  type faster than me.Smiley

John
lisapark08
Hooked

Thanks for the last post, that helped my understanding.

I can imagine Plusnet being "morphed into BT" taking forever like the transission progress to Full Fibre - FTTP. 01-2021. England 18.3%.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@lisapark08 

You can check your line here to confirm FTTP is available at your address. You're looking for WBC FTTP in the left hand column (not FTTP on Demand).

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

The reason PlusNet do not offer FTTP is not for us to know - it's a decision they've taken.

What is known is that PlusNet will (would) have to re-write their back office systems to cope with FTTP. Currently everything works off a phone number. With FTTP that may not exist - so new systems required.

Brian

lisapark08
Hooked

I understand now that
1. BT wants to occupy the FTTC market through plusnet
2. BT also want FTTP (ultrafibre and faster) Market
3. Some plusnet user DM me that their street address had no FTTC but FTTP available so they let one leave/transfer to one of a FTTP provider without leave fees
4. in my street BT's and other ultrafibre(150mbps) provider's monthly price of £30/m(~40 depending on advert link) is really close to my 30mbps package. Plusnet in this specific kind of situation is only an obstacle of leave fee. 

But why?

1. If plusnet has to build their own FTTP system from ground up what is the point of BT aquiring PN? Almost abandoning to fall behind the ultrafibre competitive market? Are they deliberately, strategically waiting for something? Waiting plusnet to do all the ground up building? Waiting PN to stay with FTTC for few more decades (maybe slowly get merged with BTwholesale)? 
2. Yes, it is not for me to know, but BT (Openreach) own statements "It's our mission to build the best possible network with the highest quality of service", "BT embarks on £12bn mission to bring fibre broadband to the nation" "aim to replace ageing copper telephone lines"
All these billions of investment towards a mission, an availability to streets, the BT 'child' company PN finally wants us to stay with, and fix copper wires from 1960s (I had to call an engineer a week ago to replace wire, another engineer to find a problem in exchange cabinet)

So, customers should ask for
1. FTTC provider to Notice as a headline that users will not be able to upgrade to 30/m(~40 depending on advert link) ultrafast deals for the next 18months within their service provider
2. Ofcom, legal reviewer, or somekind of government office who cares about "gov's 2025 target of gigabit-capable coverage" to review this situation for current and future customers who are in 1. kind of situation and also who wish to upgrade to ultrafast and faster packages without leave fees.

I would wish that the 3.'s DM guy's situation had happened to me, I as a customer wish that I was told better before signing off a contract.

Even though I know this is unrealistic, I want government and Ofcom to acknowledge this specific situation that national fibre transition missions do not align how they use current availabilities of FTTP

1. it just don't need any investment input nor does it harm expand of fibre competition market

2. "FTTH/P etc. style network infrastructure ... bigger maintenance, energy and reliability savings ...

I am trying to see how far the number of views this post can get (if 900 and above, something to do), not that I expect anything to change here in this forum, also to see someone else's perspective and stories   

lisapark08
Hooked

The post is too long and messy so the key point is: 

1. FTTC/VDSL providers should notice user, before signing off contract, when FTTP or ultrafibre available in the address, that "for the next 12/18/24months contract, you are not able to upgrade to FTTP or ultrafibre within our service",

2. "FTTC is less reliable, durable, shorter lifecycle, slower latency, less resistant to climate temperature fluctuat..., requires more maintenance meaning on long-term, it is more time and cost consuming than FTTP",

3. "If you wish more flexible choices of upgrading to FTTP later than pick providers that both have FTTC and FTTP"

4. for customers who are not noticed about this and wants to upgrade to FTTP, let option for negotiation (i.e. 1/3 reduced contract or early leave fee, right to leave or something that is justifiable than noted here). 

5. Right to leave already is being practiced currently by BT and PN when the FTTC or FTTP infrastructure is not present in the address. However, when both infrastructure is present, upgrading to FTTP is not flexible.

I am just trying to see view counts and forum's opinions, not expecting anything to change here.   

If view count is 500 and above, will raise petition to Government, Ofcom or such relevant sites to let at least acknowledge and reach broader views.   

Baldrick1

@lisapark08 

Just because someone reads your post does not  mean that the reader thinks it is logical or relevant.

Moderator and Customer

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Or can be bothered to reply to your illogical and factually inaccurate posts.

lisapark08
Hooked

Yes you guys are right, I wanted to find out about my flaws in logic.
That "FTTP" title, the BT and PN relationship was inappropriate and immature, it does not represent my "current" argument.
I would have edited it as I post but editing not available.
I do not mind about the 'likes' and 'dislikes' I only care about my 'flaws' and other's 'better views'.
Not interested by the 'veteran' and 'seasoned hero' of PN, your comments does not help me get better understanding.
I was not trying to deliberately spread diceptional, non-facts, I was only interested in 'how many would read down until the end posts' so I am gathering numbers, not really caring about comments how I sounded like, which does not give me better understanding.
lisapark08
Hooked

Again I was immature with my last post, I meant to say I was looking for views reaching the bottom of the posts, just wanted to see why even bother look all the way down at all, and just to see how many wants to pay PN more with the non exsistent full fibre service like me.

I would not want to leave PN, I would like to pay PN more for the currently non-exsistent full fibre service.

Because the fibre cabinet is there and the customer who would like to pay more is here, not be able to use it is insane.

Just one mistake of signing off the contract and regretting later that I am limited in choice for a whole year...

If I was noticed about this I would not have signed the contract.

Unless, I was noticed that they are delivering BT ultrafibre kind of service within my contract year. Which the customer service have said they will at some point in this year but would likely be close to my end of contract...

I Have made huge mistakes in posting above messages, but this time I am genuinely trying to reach viewers who understand similar situation like this.

I am sorry for my illogical, irrelevant, wasteful above posts.