cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"BT engineers only work Mon-Fri" - True?

Mathias
Grafter

"BT engineers only work Mon-Fri" - True?

Quote from a Plusnet customer services agent last night when i signed up for Fibre. How true is this statement?
I queried her statement given that i have read on these forums rare occasions where BT engineers have been sent out for jobs on the weekend. I challenged her statement with this information, but she was adamant that they never work weekends.
Is she right?
6 REPLIES 6
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: "BT engineers only work Mon-Fri" - True?

Might be the INSTALLERS only work then, I have had a repair at the weekend
AlexD
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi Mathias,
For the provisioning engineers, they typically work Monday to Friday. On very very rare occasions we can sometimes book a Saturday appointment for the phone however this is normally only accepted if there is resource available on that day. We have to ring the suppliers for this and the request is normally declined.
Fault engineers do work weekends and visit customer properties on a Saturday however not on a Sunday. Some engineers may work on the network on a Sunday however we have no way of requesting an appointment for that day of the week.
Sorry the agent didn't make this clear. Anything else I can help with?
Alex
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex D
 Plusnet Help Team
Mathias
Grafter

Hi Alex, thanks for the quick reply and clarifying that some engineers do indeed work weekends.
Whilst i personally wasn't fully aware of all the different types of engineers, as you say, the agent must have been referring to provisioning engineers but without prefixing that term to her statement.
Bit of a shame that provisioning engineers don't work weekends as it is particularly difficult for some people (myself included) to take the time off for them to do the install.
Fingers crossed that my installation on the 19th November goes as smoothly.
WWWombat
Grafter

Right now, I'm not so sure that the engineers even work Mon-Fri  Shocked
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
avatastic
Grafter

It's a bit of a catch 22.
I gather (I heard it from a friend who ...) that the OR sub-contractors are paid per install and they'd probably bite your arm off to get a weekend install, as that gives them 2 extra days of work. However, OpenRetch probably don't want to pay the extra money to them for 2 extra days of work (and staff their support lines for them on the rare occasions that they need to be called).
We like to think we're a 24/7/365 society, but sadly in reality we're still a 9-5/5/357 society.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
itsme
Grafter

Customers that request a Saturday or an evening appointment are working
Quote from: avatastic
9-5/5/357

because of this I have to work 2 late days and every second Saturday.