Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question before accepting an engineers visit

g4jnw
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

question before accepting an engineers visit

I have reported a fault but dont want to risk an engineers charge of £50
Have recently upgraded to 80/20 from 40/2 and recieved an email to say the order is complete.
Strangely the ip profile on upload is showing 20mbps but im only achieving 1.43mbps the ip profile for download is still 38.67 maximum achievable being 38.67 and download of 36.55
I have turned the router off for several hours and the router is plugged into the master socket, which is a new one that was installed by openreach a few weeks ago when i got 40/2 installed, also recently i had an issue with the phone line (as did most of the village) noise on the line, intermittant but when it appeared the other party could not hear you and you could not hear them.
This was reported and the engineer came on Friday, the engineers checked everything, even the poles etc. He told me the fault was in the exchange and was down to a faulty card and he was going to raise it.
Firstly, could that be also causing my broadband fault and if so is it best to wait to see if it resolves? OR would there be no connection between the broadband problem and the phone problem.
Is there anything else i could do without triggering an engineer visit?
I am doing tests straight into the router from my computer.
TO ME the IP profile seems strange as surely it should be 80 not 40
Plusnet technical have checked the order and confirm it is 80/20
Here is the permormance tests from http://speedtest.btwholesale.com
Download speedachieved during the test was - 36.55 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 40 Mbps-38.67 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 38.67 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.43Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.This might be useful for your Broadband Service Provider to investigate the fault.
As im not technically minded, could it be a fault on the new router, would a reset to manufacturers settings help, im retired so really cant afford a £50 charge and want to rule everything else out first also have been with plusnet a long time
23 REPLIES 23
cedlor
Grafter

Re: question before accepting an engineers visit

I recently upgraded from adsl to fibre  and if I recall correctly it took 2 days for it to all report the correct speeds.
Leave your router plugged in and switched on ALL the time and try to be patient. I think we all think it should be a simple flick of a switch
press of a button, but it never seems that simple.
As regards the line problem I would do nothing until the engineer has the phone working correctly and crackle free.
I dont think there is much you can do other than make sure your plugs are tightly inserted ( but dont pull them out to test that)
Give it a couple of days and if its no better come back to the thread. If you really cant manage without the internet I would try the online "chat"
Trying to get through on the phone can be difficult.
'
amcclean
Rising Star

I would guess PN need to remove the capping and re-set your profile on their end.

Podman
g4jnw
Rising Star

Quote from: cedlor
I recently upgraded from adsl to fibre  and if I recall correctly it took 2 days for it to all report the correct speeds.
Leave your router plugged in and switched on ALL the time and try to be patient. I think we all think it should be a simple flick of a switch
press of a button, but it never seems that simple.
As regards the line problem I would do nothing until the engineer has the phone working correctly and crackle free.
I dont think there is much you can do other than make sure your plugs are tightly inserted ( but dont pull them out to test that)
Give it a couple of days and if its no better come back to the thread. If you really cant manage without the internet I would try the online "chat"
Trying to get through on the phone can be difficult.
'

In answer to this I upgraded a good while ago to 40/2 and its been working fine, I asked if i could upgrade to 80/20 and the order was completed on the 12th Feb, if you look at my first posting the IP profile should say at least 76 NOT 38 and the upload profile is correctly reporting IP profile at 20 - so the profile is wrong.
I am willing to leave it a few days, thats not an issue.
As a NON techy could not the IP profile be reapplied?
OR could it be equipment fault?
BTW line crackle has been there for a while according to the neighbours but i only reported it when it happened to me and i was still getting a reasonable up and download on the old IP profile of 40/2 so personally I have my doubts that its affecting things in a BIG way
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

What were you're estimated speeds?
The download IP Profile should be set automatically based on the speed your line achieves. The maximum IP profile is about 77 Mb, which you would get if you are close enough to your cabinet to get the full 80 Mb.
Also, the help desk information from the Hub One would be useful.
g4jnw
Rising Star

Estimated speeds were 76-80 download
20 upload
I will try and find the info on Hub one
mav:quote
g4jnw
Rising Star

PN have just informed me that one of the problem "line noise" has been sorted, it took an engineers visit and the engineer thought it was a fault in the exchange.
Just hope the broadband problem is sorted soon.
g4jnw
Rising Star

Quote from: podman
I would guess PN need to remove the capping and re-set your profile on their end.

Podman

If plusnet are monitoring these posts I wonder if thats possible with my account as im getting no where, I would prefer you try this before involving the engineers.
username: lesnorton
If that doesnt work it will have to be the engineers, openreach will be paying rent soon at this rate.
If it cant be sorted I will just go back to my previous package as im still in the 14 day period, the speeds im getting up and download are my previous speeds anyway.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Quote from: podman

As per my response here:
Quote from: HarryB
I've double checked some things, the order to up the speeds to 80/20 is showing complete, however testing your line is still showing 40/2 sync speeds.

I'd recommend proceeding with the fault. It's nothing we can change remotely, as the broadband asset is showing correctly at 80/20, the profile on our side is 80/20, the next step would be for an engineer to correct whatever is causing your connection to be stuck syncing at 40/2 Undecided
Please proceed with the fault and I'll make sure you're not charged £50 on this occasion.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
g4jnw
Rising Star

Thanks HarryB have replied to the text and asked them to proceed with engineer, hopefully it will get sorted then.
I appreciate your input
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've tested your line and updated the fault, as soon as this progresses we'll be in touch.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
g4jnw
Rising Star

Hi Chris
Im getting different results, slightly better but no where as good as it should be, if this is going to be as good as it gets then i'll just go back to the 40/2 i was on, no point paying extra unless it gets much better, the end bit of the results is interesting though as it says
"We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance."
So by saying this does it mean thats as good as it gets?
here are the results: Upload speed particularly dissapointing.
Download speedachieved during the test was - 40.77 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 40 Mbps-47.42 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 47.42 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.85Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

There's still something faulty on your line; the upload speed should be way better than you are seeing.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
g4jnw
Rising Star

The ticket is still open so im hopeing something is happening, trouble is the time is also ticking if i have to go back to the old account, dont want to find im locked in to paying more if i cant get any faster connection.
The upload is particularly important as im a radio ham and use the internet (similar to voip) hence upgrading from 2 to 20 on upload.
As you see im not achieving what i have upgraded to.
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hello there. I'd recommend double checking your speed estimate at http://www.dslchecker.bt.com (if you haven't done so already)
If your throughput is below this estimate, please reply to the fault ticket on your account for our faults team to investigate further. However, if the speed is within the estimate and if you were quoted a higher speed at the point of the upgrade, I would recommend calling our Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 to downgrade you to the basic Fibre package. In this scenario, they should downgrade you with no penalty.
I hope this helps
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button