Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

puzzled

Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: puzzled

I'm on Plusnet FTTC and using their DNS.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@Penny there ought to be an option somewhere in Settings to disabled it. Shouldn't have to uninstall.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

@Penny wrote:

@Oldjim wrote:

you could try disabling Avast and then try the link above

... thank you for the advice Smiley  sounds like a logical way forwards.  However I don't actually know how to disable it - would this require a complete uninstall?  *that* I know how to do, just thought I'd ask in case there was any simpler method : /

The images display OK for me. That's on Plusnet Fibre with TG582n router and BT modem. The router uses Plusnet DNS. Browser is Firefox 46.0 on Windows Vista 32-bit

My anti-virus is also Avast Free with all shields active. You can temporarily disable the shields by right-clicking the Avast icon in the notification area; then hover over Avast shields control and select Disable for 10 minutes from the expanded menu.

David
ohm
Hooked

What error messages do you see in the web inspector for the failed images? And inspect the element to check out the <a> link.. That might help you see what's going on.

Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

@Jaggies wrote:

I'm on Plusnet FTTC and using their DNS.

thank you for that : )   that rules out both of those, then.  appreciated : )

Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
Penny
Superuser
Superuser

spraxyt wrote: The images display OK for me. That's on Plusnet Fibre with TG582n router and BT modem. The router uses Plusnet DNS. Browser is Firefox 46.0 on Windows Vista 32-bit

likewise thank you for the confirmation re Fibre and PlusNet DNS : )

spraxyt wrote: My anti-virus is also Avast Free with all shields active. You can temporarily disable the shields by right-clicking the Avast icon in the notification area; then hover over Avast shields control and select Disable for 10 minutes from the expanded menu.

thank you for the detailed instructions : )   have to say it took me a good ten minutes to discover what "the notification area" referred to  lol   I guess I don't process information quite the same way as everyone else.  I tried right-clicking the screen icons and then various aspects of the screens that appeared, before realising it might be the tiny icon that appears (with others) if the arrow bottom-right in the navigation bar, is clicked.

anyway, Avast duly disabled for ten minutes : D   and I reaccessed the address tried before.   Same outcome though : /  page not displayed (screenshot to be attached here at foot).

... so it's not that either : /   seem to be running out of options, here.  Appreciate everyone's input on this - thank you : )

Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
Penny
Superuser
Superuser

@ohm wrote:

What error messages do you see in the web inspector for the failed images?

... I'm not getting error messages as such, just an x where the graphic has failed to appear - the site-link and the image address and the alt text are drawn directly from the mysql table.  As far as I can gather everyone else can see the pictures but they're not downloading on the PC here, nor are the links working because the linked site is somehow blocked (from the PC but not from the mobile phone I have here that is on another network).

ohm wrote: And inspect the element to check out the <a> link.. That might help you see what's going on.

... did that but looked very much the same as the source code, albeit differently-formatted.  However the 'image info' had the option to block images from that site (a tick-box, but empty).  Did wonder where a list of blocked sites (if any) might be located, but didn't discover anything of that nature.

Interestingly, though, there was the option to "check links" (I had installed a [free] link-checker on Firefox some while back, and when I okayed "check links" just now it started that link-checker).  The graphic-absent boxes generated a message "forwarded or forbidden link" whereas other links (constructed in exactly the same way) showed as "valid link".

... one other factor of note - the image info (on the non-appearing graphic) said "0px × 0px (scaled to 100px × 13px)" whereas the other (working) graphics display as 125 height and max-width 125 (to cater for non-square images, to maintain aspect ratio).  I have no idea where the 100 x 13 originated from : /    and the graphic box looks like the actual box-size is 125 x 125, or thereabouts.

ohm
Hooked

Can you tether your pc to use your phone's network temporarily? That might help you know if it's your broadband connection or your pc that is refusing / losing connection to the URL's.

Penny
Superuser
Superuser

@ohm wrote:

Can you tether your pc to use your phone's network temporarily?

... no, I don't think I can, unfortunately : /   I can connect the phone to PN wifi, but I don't think it works the other way round (very minimal phone contract terms).

ohm wrote: That might help you know if it's your broadband connection or your pc that is refusing / losing connection to the URL's.

... yes, indeed it might, brilliant idea but not something I can realistically do, I don't think.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Have you tried to disable the phone's mobile Data and then connect the phone via WiFi to the Plusnet router? That would rule out the router and connection if it works okay on the phone and place the fault onto the PC.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Penny

Can you try with Internet Explorer and if that works try Firefox in Safe Mode and if both work check your various Firefox addons

Penny
Superuser
Superuser

@SpendLessTime wrote:

Have you tried to disable the phone's mobile Data and then connect the phone via WiFi to the Plusnet router? That would rule out the router and connection if it works okay on the phone

oh, excellent idea.  I *do* like the way things work in this forum, the way ideas come together.  Tried what you'd said as soon as I saw the e-mail notification - had no idea how to disable the phone's mobile data but figured the Wifi would take precedence if it was connected.

And guess what?  no pictures.  seven out of eight missing, just like on the PC.  so it *is* the PN connection   lol   though whether that's the fibre or the router or something else I don't know, as yet.  quite relieved it's not the PC, though : )

Penny
Superuser
Superuser

@Oldjim wrote:

Can you try with Internet Explorer and if that works try Firefox in Safe Mode

... didn't know Firefox had a Safe Mode : /   just went looking for it (and happened across Inspector that I think Ohm mentioned earlier) but no sign of Safe Mode I don't think.

Am increasingly aware of how little I actually know about the technical side of things, compared with the rest of you on here : D

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Firefox safe mode

Start Firefox

Click on the menu on the right corner ( the 3 horizontal bars)

Click on the Open Help Menu icon (round button with a question mark)

Click on menu option " Restart with Addons Disabled"

Click on the "Restart" button which the dialog box "Restart with Add-Ons Disabled" displays

When Firefox restarts it displays a "Firefox in Safe Mode" box.

Click on  the "Start In Safe Mode" button

Simple really.

Or create a desktop icon for Firefox and change the properties of the Target within the shortcut by adding the words  " -safe-mode" without quote marks to the end of the target string.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Anonymous
Not applicable

... or just type -

firefox -safe-mode

in a terminal window.

Wink