Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

puzzled

Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

puzzled

Wasn't quite sure which board to put this on, but as it's about a PlusNet connection, figured here was the best place.

The connection here is PlusNet Fibre.  Have never had any real issues with it (couple of years, now) but the last few days have been experiencing difficulties accessing the usual range of sites.

What has prompted me (finally) to post is that now (last 48 hours) I have found one site completely inaccessible.  I'm building a shopping village where products are featured from a number of companies - eg see http://www.sunshinecity.co.uk/desktop/pastimes-and-leisure/toys_games_puzzles_UK/speed1/Ben.php .  Of the top eight products on that page, I can see only one of them - and I can't access the linked site, either.

However I have just called up the page on a mobile phone - Three network - and all eight of the photos display, and the site-links also work.  I thought maybe I'd stuffed up the desktop links (while pagebuilding) so tried the equivalent mobile page on the PC - and the photos don't show up there either : /

I'm beyond puzzled and the only thing I can think of is that (somehow) the PN connection (or the PC) is preventing access to that site.  Browser here is IE11 but I've just tried with Firefox and I can't see the photos with that, either, so I'm assuming this is not PC-related.

If anyone would care to try out the linked pages on a PN connection, and say if they can see the photos, I'd appreciate this : )

Thanks,

Penny.

Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
47 REPLIES 47
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: puzzled

All works fine on Firefox

Have you tried changing the DNS servers on the computer

Penny
Superuser
Superuser

could I ask what type of PN connection you have?

Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

fibre but as edited above I am not using Plusnet DNS

Oldjim
Resting Legend

Just had a look at the page image link and this may be the problem

CropImage.jpg

Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

All working fine here (Chrome Version 49.0.2623.112 m). However, the site's display would not encourage me to visit...

Penny
Superuser
Superuser

@Oldjim wrote:

Have you tried changing the DNS servers on the computer

lol

it has DNS servers?

wasn't aware of that (and wouldn't have a clue how to change them, either) (and it's not my PC).

@Oldjim wrote:

fibre but as edited above I am not using Plusnet DNS

... so this issue could be related to PlusNet DNS?  sorry, don't know much about such things : /

Penny
Superuser
Superuser

@Jaggies wrote:

All working fine here (Chrome Version 49.0.2623.112 m).

thanks : )   could I ask what type of PN connection you have, and if you use PN DNS?  (don't know the first thing about the latter but am beginning to understand that factor might be relevant somehow).

Oldjim
Resting Legend

It is possible that the link to trackwebgains.com is being blocked by something on the PC

This could include the anti virus or even a spyware blocker

Penny
Superuser
Superuser

@Jaggies wrote:

All working fine here

... thank you for the screenshot, incidentally Smiley  Have taken one of how things display here, for comparison.

am hoping it will enclose okay, am not trying preview as last time I did that (earlier) I couldn't get back to message-edit stage.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

so you are seeing the associated text not the image itself

what do you see here http://www.happypuzzle.co.uk/uploads/productimages/Page-A-Day-Calendar-Mind-Benders.png

You should see this

Page-A-Day-Calendar-Mind-Benders

Penny
Superuser
Superuser

@Oldjim wrote:

so you are seeing the associated text not the image itself

what do you see

...  just this : /

Penny
Superuser
Superuser

@Oldjim wrote:

It is possible that the link to trackwebgains.com is being blocked

This could include the anti virus or even a spyware blocker

... don't know about there being any spyware blockers, but anti-virus here is Avast (free).  Maybe it has an issue with the linked site, then (?).

Oldjim
Resting Legend

you could try disabling Avast and then try the link above

Penny
Superuser
Superuser

... thank you for the advice Smiley  sounds like a logical way forwards.  However I don't actually know how to disable it - would this require a complete uninstall?  *that* I know how to do, just thought I'd ask in case there was any simpler method : /

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules