Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problems with microfilters extensor

javixeneize
Dabbler

problems with microfilters extensor

Hi

I have the typical BT connector box with two plugs. One for the phone and another one for the broadband. I have my modem/router connected to this plug and everything works fine

However, i am trying to move the location of the router to somewhere else. To do it, i have bought an extension cable

This cable is connected to the phone plug on the main box.

On the other end of the box, i have connected a microfilter, that again has two plugs. Phone and broadband

When i try to connect my modem/router to this microfilter that is connected to the extension cable, there is no DSL signal there

Any idea what might be the problem?

Thank

3 REPLIES 3
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: problems with microfilters extensor

The DSL signal is filtered at the 'connector box' so it won't pass through to the phone side of things, what you really need is an RJ45 cable to connect your router back to the socket with no filter required.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Ideally you need to leave the router where it is an run an Ethernet cable from one of the router LAN sockets to the new location. There fit an Access Point. if necessary.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jelockwood

It sounds like you have a BT NTE5 master socket without a filter built-in to the front plate and therefore are using the 'plug-in' filter that is included with the PlusNet router.

If this is the case then you could fit a socket doubler to the BT master socket and have your extension cable in one socket and a plug-in filter in the other socket. It is however also possible to remove the lower half of the master socket faceplate and connect the cable to the internal connection, this is the 'proper' way to add an extension socket.

See the pictures on this page - https://www.telecomgreen.co.uk/home-phone-repair/your-master-socket-and-how-to-avoid-a-large-bill/

This page is not specifically about adding additional sockets but it does show a good picture related to this. You can see the lower half front panel hanging off and on the back of it is where you attach the extension socket cable to. The whole point of this approach is that if asked by BT to do a test without anything else connected including the extension wiring you can simply unplug this front panel and all your own cabling is automatically disconnected. To do the typical BT test you merely plugin to the previously hidden test socket you can see was hidden behind the front panel.

This same site has other good articles like adding a second master socket, using the new NTE5c socket and so on.

In my own case I wired a second new style NTE5c with the built-in VDSL filter as an extension to the original BT NTE5 master socket to allow me to move my router. This was as per that sites other article - https://www.telecomgreen.co.uk/engineering/move-bt-master-socket-without-actually-moving-advice-tele...

(The original BT Master Socket is the 'property' of OpenReach and you are not supposed to modify or move it.)