cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem with a specific device

daftyokel

problem with a specific device

My issue is with one specific device, a NovoFidelity music player which is wirelessly connected to broadband via a second router being used to boost coverage through the house.  I use this device for internet radio, but it frequently loses its internet connection.  Other devices connected wirelessly in the same room do not have this problem.

Logging on to my Plusnet home hub, I can see all my devices listed.  The information tells me they are on four different channels: 2.4GHz wireless, 5 GHz wireless, ethernet and USB.  What determines which device connects via which channel?  Will changing the channel improve my situation?

Suggestions greatly appreciated!

7 REPLIES 7
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Re: problem with a specific device

Hi @daftyokel

So if the device is hardwired into the router this will be listed under the Ethernet section, the same with USB.

What determines if the devices connect to 2.4 or 5Ghz depends. Some devices aren't able to connect to 5Ghz, meaning they will be default only ever connect to 2.4Ghz, others have the functionality to connect to both. In those situations the device should connect to the strongest signal but be able to adapt and change to both depending on the distance away. There are a number of variations on this though depending on how the router broadcasts the signals. 

The channel runs differently as this determines the frequency the routers wireless broadcasts off in the first place. If all your devices are working but one I wouldn't change this just yet as it could cause more harm than good. 

The second router you have what make and model is this?

The music player is this connect via UBS, ethernet or wireless, and is it plugged into the first or second router?

daftyokel

Joe,

thank you for your quick response.

The music server is wirelessly connected to a BT Home Hub 2.0, which I believe is working as a slave or wireless access point, rather than a router.  The BT Home Hub is connected to the internet via a Devolo device plugged into the mains supply.  This arrangement is in a separate room to our PlusNet Hub.  Our walls are very thick, hence the need for the Devolo gismo.

I don't plan to change any router settings without first understanding the consequences!

I think that the first thing I need to try is to connect the music server to the Home Hub with a network cable.  It will be a couple of weeks until I can do that.

Depending on whether that helps, it may be necessary to look at the IP addresses of the devices.  I understand that the BT Home Hub needs to have a different IP address to the router.

The problem with internet radio has coincided with our switch to Plus Net and also the demise of the internet radio provider, Reciva.  We are now using Airable, except that the internet connection cannot be maintained long enough to listen satisfactorily.

vultura
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@daftyokel wrote:

The music server is wirelessly connected to a BT Home Hub 2.0, which I believe is working as a slave or wireless access point, rather than a router.  The BT Home Hub is connected to the internet via a Devolo device plugged into the mains supply.  This arrangement is in a separate room to our PlusNet Hub.  Our walls are very thick, hence the need for the Devolo gismo.

I think that the first thing I need to try is to connect the music server to the Home Hub with a network cable.  It will be a couple of weeks until I can do that.

The problem with internet radio has coincided with our switch to Plus Net and also the demise of the internet radio provider, Reciva.  We are now using Airable, except that the internet connection cannot be maintained long enough to listen satisfactorily.

Welcome to the forum.

I assume from the above that the Novofidelity unit you have has a wired lan connection?

If so a possible solution would be to simply connect it straight from the Devolo (powerline) adapter, bypassing the Homehub and see if that works satisfactorily.  It would mean temporarily losing wifi in that room though.

How long have you had the Devolos?  Just trying to work out if they might be older spec units and struggling to deal with modern requirements.

Has anyone seen my signature, it's gone missing.
daftyokel

Hello Vultura

I don't think that the Novofidelity has a lan, I have attached a photo of the spec.

When I take the network cable out of the BT Home Hub and plug it directly into the music server, internet radio is not accessible because there is no internet connection.

Does this answer your question?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

The spec says it has an Ethernet connection, see the Connectivity section. You probably need to ge into the settings and select an Ethernet connection instead of the current wireless state.

Having said that Powerline units can be the source of all kinds of problems.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

daftyokel

Hello Vultura

Here's another question.

I have removed the wireless dongle from the music server and connected it by cable to the Devolo via the BT Home Hub.

Now I have to input the wired setup settings (see attached).  Are these details the same as the ones which were displayed for the wireless setup?

thank you

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @daftyokel, thanks for your post.

All of those settings would remain exactly as they were when you were using it wirelessly.