cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

power line adapter speed dropped

joeymurphy1

power line adapter speed dropped

hi i have a question i was struggling with speed issues with wifi so i installed a powerline adapter the first few days i was getttin 45 - 49 mbs
so was happy no am getting 20 - 30 is my usage throttled?Huh
8 REPLIES 8
deathtrap
Grafter

Re: power line adapter speed dropped

I
deathtrap
Grafter

I would stop using the powerline adapter it maybe causing errors ect and DLM has reacted hence the lower speeds, Ethernet is the most reliable way to connect
joeymurphy1

am new to this what DLM?
Haybasha
Rising Star

Years ago I used brand new power line adaptors and they dropped my SNR by some 2dB when on. I would never use them again after that, I got a Netgear Range Extender and use WiFi for other stuff around my house now. The main PC and my son's I use Ethernet.
Den1
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Quote from: joeymurphy1
am new to this what DLM?

Dynamic Line Management (DLM) is an automatic system that’s designed to give you the best broadband performance for your line. It works by testing and adjusting your broadband circuit’s profile on the network for a short time when you first connect a router after your line has gone live.
Why is DLM needed?
Every broadband line is affected by different factors, such as the quality of the copper line, your router’s location, and where other electronic devices are in your property. DLM finds the most appropriate profile, based on your individual line characteristics, to give your connection the best performance and most stable speed.  Cool
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

A powerline adaptor could not upset your router so as to cause it to affect the connection on the WAN side.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

joeymurphy1

ok thanks guys Crazy
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
A powerline adaptor could not upset your router so as to cause it to affect the connection on the WAN side.

Jeremy you are talking complete rubbish. Whilst those with a good technical understanding will appreciate what you've actually said, it can be totally misleading to someone who doesn't yet appreciate what DLM can do to the the line on the modem side which is of course where any interference that such devices may generate will have an effect. Your remark is therefore more than unhelpful.
In all situations where speed is apparently affected, one should run the BTw Performance test (DON'T REBOOT, ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test.
The results from the further Diagnostic Test will give the BT IP Profile for the line which is directly related to the sync speed to the cab. If this has dropped, then some interference has caused DLM to act. The main problem is that even having switched off the offending equipment, DLM will not make an immediate reversion to the original performance, this could take several weeks.