cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

poor router / wireless

welshviking1
Dabbler

poor router / wireless

Hi, Been on Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra for nearly 16 months and our 18-month contract finishes early December. I have no problem with Plusnet speed, the latest test was PING 23 DOWNLOAD 42.74 UPLOAD 7.11, which for this area is excellent. The issues I have is the HUB ONE router is very poor, lots of connection issues and the wireless is awful as we live in a large house. I really don't want to leave Plusnet but I simply cannot keep this bloody router. Just to add we use a sky wifi extender upstairs to try to help with wifi but it is not really that good. Been reading on the net today that the Bt HUB 6 could do a better job than the Plusnet Hub one, is that correct.  Any ideas would be very much appreciated......Cheers Colin 

14 REPLIES 14
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: poor router / wireless

Hi there, 

I'm sorry to see you've had a poor experience of using WiFi with our hardware. As staff we can't recommend any other hardware but I would definitely take a look at the advice offered here with regards to optimising WiFi performance: https://goo.gl/BBd2Tu

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@welshviking1

The Hub 6 has better WiFi performance than the Hub One which is a BTHome Hub 5A with tweeked  firmware. This shows the comparison. https://www.businessdirect.bt.com/content/uni2/documentation/c6nx/bt_smart_hub_test_report.pdf.

Whichever you use try separating the 2.4 and 5GHz bands then try each in turn   https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/td-p/1351950.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@welshviking1

PlusNet have always been happy for customers to use their own equipment and supply the settings required on their Help pages.

As a "value" internet provider PlusNet supplied equipment will never be top of the range.

You can usually get BT HH6 hubs relatively cheaply on E-Bay. However, if looking to by, have a look round on-line first to see what Routers people recommend.

Brian

welshviking1
Dabbler

Thanks guys for all your help and ideas, will look around for a Hub 6 as I have tried all the other ideas mentioned in the 1st reply. Just to add found a lady very close to my home selling a BT Smart Hub X which is 2 months old. Would this router be ok as I believe it replaced the Bt hub 6.

Baldrick1

I read that the Smart Hub X is being given to those on the BT G.Fast trial. Whilst it will be interesting to learn whether it will work on FTTC it is not obvious from a quick internet search. As both FTTC and G Fast are copper to the premises services then logic says it should be OK. It just needs some-one to try one.

I would ask the lady who has one for sale whether she knows whether she is on FTTC or G.Fast and perhaps whether you can try it. Alternatively if the price is right you could always buy it and flog it on an auction site if it doesn't play ball..

Moderator and Customer

welshviking1
Dabbler

Not sure if this is correct but the lady selling it told me that I will need a have a BT fibre to home hub (one with a red socket on the rear) as I have a BT Openreach modem fitted to my inside wall which the lady selling it also had and it was no good for her that's why she is selling it. Excuse being stupid but would this modem be causing my Plusnet hub one issues as it was set up like that from the original day it was fitted.20180927_134315.jpg 

Baldrick1

Something is wrong here. Are you sure that you have a Plusnet Hub One, not a Hub Zero (Sagecom 2704N)? You don't use the BT modem with a Hub One as this and the Smarthub both incorporate the modem. The suggestion that you need the FTTP version is incorrect and should be ignored.

If you have a Hub Zero then that explains an awful lot as its wireless performance is dire.

If you're not sure which router you have then look here  https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-setup-guides/

Moderator and Customer

welshviking1
Dabbler

Definitely a hub one , i will go and disconnect it from the modem and see how it goes.

welshviking1
Dabbler

Hi Just disconnected everything from the BT modem and put the Plusnet hub one into the filtered faceplate socket using the cable supplied via the dsl socket on the back of the router. At first, the router would not get on the internet (flashing orange and still orange light) but after a full reset (pressed little pinhole button on the rear) it finally burst into life. Fingers crossed the wifi range will be better now and no drop out on connections. Thanks for everyones help it was very much appreciated. 

Baldrick1

That's good to hear. At least it's now configured correctly though I doubt it will help the WiFi speed. I would suggest that you separate the bands as I suggested earlier and if that doesn't help go for the Smarthub option..

Moderator and Customer

welshviking1
Dabbler

Bands are now separated as mentioned, again thanks for your help.

welshviking1
Dabbler

Hi Guys, So my speed has gone up dramatically to approx 54 Mbps, but the wifi is still really poor despite doing everything mentioned on here to help. if I do decide to purchase a BT HUB 6 router which one will I need as the photos show 2 different ones or will any of the 2 work, Thanks Colin

48835iA450CBA720D12082.png 

bt_smarthub_rear_ports.jpg

Baldrick1

You want the second one That's the one with NO red WAN sticker over one of the LAN sockets, which is the FTTP version. The FTTC version includes the modem the same as the Hub One. If you can find the Business version these are better as you have extra facilities such as the option to set your own choice of DNS servers.

Moderator and Customer

welshviking1
Dabbler

Ok guys bought a BT HUB 6 and set it up yesterday which was very straightforward using the great instructions on here. Found immediately my download speed increased to nearly 60mbps and the upload was around the 7.5mbps (never been able to get anymore on this line), The wifi is much better with no need for any extenders around the house. However the router has knocked off a fair few times, it was great for the first 2 hours but since then it has dropped out many times, It is now downloading at 55ish and uploading at 6.5ish I honestly cannot remember how to put router stats on here for people to take a look at , any ideas would be very much appreciated.